Advice for new setup please

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Ok, my current system is in my sig, and I am looking to finally upgrade my base system, but I'm on a budget, I don't have the cash for a $1,000 Intel processor LOL

My system right now is running;

Intel i5-3570
Z77 motherboard
16GB DDR 3

Looking to maybe go this route, but would like your advice please;

Intel i5-9600K Coffee Lake for $229
Z370 Motherboard for $119
32GB DDR4 for $255

https://www.microcenter.com/product/512485/core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-37-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor
https://www.microcenter.com/product/484758/z370-gaming-plus-lga-1151-atx-intel-motherboard
https://www.microcenter.com/product...c4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

My Video Card is the GTX 1070, and I plan to maybe get the RTX 2080, whenever there's a price reduction. But for the base system, going from the 3570 to a 9600K and going from 16GB DDR3 to 32GB DDR4 be a noticeable difference ?

By the way I have a 4k monitor.

Unless you have specific apps that require 32 GB RAM (e.g., not gaming), you'll probably be fine with 16 (and it's simple to upgrade later). Put the $ saved there towards the i7-9700k and its two additional cores.

Also, don't forget the "k" CPUs don't come with a cooler. A regular quality 120-140mm air-cooled tower (e.g., Noctua, Thermalright) would work well even for mild overclocking.

A z390 mainboard should get you upgraded USB3.1 gen 2 and integrated WiFi over a z370, I'd think with minimal price difference.

GTX-1070 to RTX-2080 doesn't seem like it'd be worth the cost, even for a 4k display, unless maybe you can get a real good deal on the new card and sell off the old for a good rate. Be sure to study the reviews before making the jump.

Thanks for the replies, yeah the RTX 2080 prob isn't the smartest upgrade path due to prices. I'd love to get the 2080 Ti, but not at that crazy price.

For now I'll hold on to my 1070 and see what next year brings.

I was just thinking 32GB memory would be more future proof ? Would that help gaming at 4k ?

I was just thinking 32GB memory would be more future proof ? Would that help gaming at 4k ?
It would help you to say have some word and excel documents open some different browsers open with 100's of tabs plus say visual studio with a large project or two open while playing the latest AAA game, so you could switch between work and play.

That's pretty funny. But I understand some who worry about matching ram 'later'. never yet heard of 32GB helping gaming though.

So hgo my new parts and system up and running;

- i7-9700K
- 32GB DDR4
- MSI Z390 A- Pro motherboard
- Samsung 500GB SSD
- 650 Watt PSU

Everything else I kept, no need to upgrade for now. 40" 4k monitor. GTX 1070 card, reused my old school classic all aluminum Cooler Master case, just cleaned it up real good, and put brand new case fans, always loved this case.

couple comments I'm kind of surprised at how quiet my new system is it's like whisper-quiet. I do have the case fans plugged into the motherboard system fan plugs, is that okay? Or should those be plugged into the PSU only ?

There's also a plug on my motherboard it says PCI-e it's a 6-pin connector. I'm out of 6 pin to 6 pin connectors on my modular PSU. My last motherboardbdidn't have a special plug in for the PCI Express, and of course I've got my 8-pin plugged into the video card at self.

That's pretty funny. But I understand some who worry about matching ram 'later'. never yet heard of 32GB helping gaming though.
I was going to add something like you could run 4 different games at once with 32GB of ram and switch between them lol

So hgo my new parts and system up and running;

- i7-9700K
- 32GB DDR4
- MSI Z390 A- Pro motherboard
- Samsung 500GB SSD
- 650 Watt PSU

Everything else I kept, no need to upgrade for now. 40" 4k monitor. GTX 1070 card, reused my old school classic all aluminum Cooler Master case, just cleaned it up real good, and put brand new case fans, always loved this case.

couple comments I'm kind of surprised at how quiet my new system is it's like whisper-quiet. I do have the case fans plugged into the motherboard system fan plugs, is that okay? Or should those be plugged into the PSU only ?

There's also a plug on my motherboard it says PCI-e it's a 6-pin connector. I'm out of 6 pin to 6 pin connectors on my modular PSU. My last motherboardbdidn't have a special plug in for the PCI Express, and of course I've got my 8-pin plugged into the video card at self.

Glad you got it up and running. You should use that 6 pin connector it gives more juice to the cpu.

Glad you got it up and running. You should use that 6 pin connector it gives more juice to the cpu.

Thanks, I need to buy another modular 6 pin to 6 pin cable then. My new PSU only came with the one for the video card itself.

I did use one plug for the CPU on the motherboard it's a 8 pin plug.

And why is my new system so quiet ? I'm not complaining, I really like it low noise but curious if it's too low ? ButBcompared to my last system which sounded like a leaf blower, but that system had 80mm fans and was 6 years old, and very dusty inside, wow it was a dusty bowl in there.

So happy to be on a new system build.

CES 2019 is around the corner. I'd hold off on buying an RTX 20xx until then.

Yeah no way would I buy a video card now. I wanna upgrade from my GTX 1070, but I always upgrade ONLY if the performance is bare minimum 50% faster, but prefer 100% double increase to justify these high prices.

Hot damn these high end cards are outrageously expensive. No frigging way I'd pay close to a $1,000 for a new bideo card.

Yeah no way would I buy a video card now. I wanna upgrade from my GTX 1070, but I always upgrade ONLY if the performance is bare minimum 50% faster, but prefer 100% double increase to justify these high prices.

Hot damn these high end cards are outrageously expensive. No frigging way I'd pay close to a $1,000 for a new bideo card.

The 2080Ti is already 70-90% faster than a 1070, but since its price is more than you're willing to spend, you're going to be waiting for a while until you land a GPU upgrade that performs to your standards. Best bet for now is probably to wait off a couple months and keep an eye on the FS/FT forum fora any good deals on a used one.

I would live the performance upgrade of a RTX 2080 Ti, but looking online at current prices of Rick on average they seem to be selling for about $1,500 !!!

YES I CAN AFFORD THAT BUT I'M PRINCIPLE THERE'S JUST NO FUCKING WAY I WOULD EVER ALLOW MYSELF TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY ON ONE VIDEO CARD

Go with a used 1080Ti. It's around 50% faster than a 1070. You can get them on ebay for around $600. Sell your current 1070 for around $200. 50% upgrade for $400 isn't too bad these days.

Although if it were me I would go with a Ryzen 7 build over an Intel build.

Congrats on the new System! She is nice (although Intel)

If you didn't have a specific reason, you may have preferred to wait for CES as AMD is supposedly launching their next
Zen2 CPU's (I am hoping for 12 or 16 core) to replace my AMD 1700 8core

You can always return the chip and board to MC and sit tight till January 8th and then have all the details on your next Build

One thing I just noticed yesterday, I put my hand behind my computer to feel for any heat, and the PSU during gaming is pushing some hot air out the back of the case. The case fans have warm air out of their exhaust ports, but the power supply gets pretty warm during gaming, and then once done gaming, and just on the desktop browsing sites, it's cool again.

Is that normal?

I use the Core Temp 1.12.1 app to see my temps, and in desktop non gaming the cpu runs around 25C, on average between 22C and 27C, but during heavy gaming it goes up to 50+ C, like 47C to 58C.

Yes it's normal for a system to put out more heat during heavy loads.

Yes it's normal for a system to put out more heat during heavy loads.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was most concerned about the PSU, it pushes out pretty warm or hot air kicking out the back during a gaming session.

But then a minute after I'm done gaming and just surfing the [H]ard site, it's cool again.

Is that normal ?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was most concerned about the PSU, it pushes out pretty warm or hot air kicking out the back during a gaming session.

But then a minute after I'm done gaming and just surfing the [H]ard site, it's cool again.

Is that normal ?

To put your fears to rest - when your computer is idle / at the desktop, it's using a fraction of the power that it does under load (for a quick example, here's a link to the [H] power analysis of the 9900k, which isn't your processor, but is valid for the sake of an example https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/19/intel_core_i99900k_9th_generation_cpu_review/5 )
At idle, your entire computer is using probably only 100 - 150 watts total, but under load, that could rise to 500 watts or more depending on your components. That increase in power usage is going to generate more heat, exactly the same way that if you have a single 75 watt light bulb in your room it's going to generate less heat than a 500 watt electric space heater.
The power supply and components are designed to take that power and heat (which is why for example your power supply has the X watt rating that it has).
TLDR: completely normal and nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Just for giggles my daughter was gaming WoW on my wife's computer, which is 6 years old or so, GTX-680, and Intel CPU front 2012. It has a Silverstone 750watt PSU, I out my hand behind the PSU while she was gaming and it felt lukewarm barely blowing hot air out the back, more coolish warm air.

I then go to my computer playing WoW and it's very warm almost hot near the PSU.

Back