Advice for LED lighting behind monitors

revv

Weaksauce
I'm looking to add some LEDs to the back of my monitors to reduce eye strain.

Are there any tried and true solutions for this? Ideally, I'd want the full color spectrum and to have colors selectable by me.

I've seen a few on Amazon, but they look really, really cheap. IKEA is out of their Diode model as well, so I'm wondering if there is a good quality alternative that won't break the bank.

Thanks!

You can do it for really, really cheap with the kits on Amazon. You can get 5 meters of full RGB LED strip "tape" with 5050 SMD LEDs for around $15-18. Then just cut it to fit the back of your monitor, connect the ends by either soldering them yourself, or with the clip-on connectors for a few bucks. Buy a $10 controller with a remote, and you're in business.

Don't waste your money on expensive kits for this type of project. There are plenty of things where it's worth spending extra, or buying name brand stuff. LED strip lighting is NOT one of those things.

You can do it for really, really cheap with the kits on Amazon. You can get 5 meters of full RGB LED strip "tape" with 5050 SMD LEDs for around $15-18. Then just cut it to fit the back of your monitor, connect the ends by either soldering them yourself, or with the clip-on connectors for a few bucks. Buy a $10 controller with a remote, and you're in business.

Don't waste your money on expensive kits for this type of project. There are plenty of things where it's worth spending extra, or buying name brand stuff. LED strip lighting is NOT one of those things.

Thanks, Just bought on Amazon. I've never cut LED strips before, so I'm hoping it works :)

If you've got some really basic soldering skills, it's not hard. If you don't, you can buy the snap-on connectors and it's even easier! I've done 2-3 monitors, my liquor cabinet, the inside of my computer case, and a china hutch with this stuff. It's simple!

Good luck with your project!

Great thread... can you guys post some links to the LED strips, connectors, controllers and remotes you bought?

Great thread... can you guys post some links to the LED strips, connectors, controllers and remotes you bought?
I just bought an Antec kit for ~$11.00 on Amazon and it works really well on a 34" 21:9 monitor. Just peel, stick, plug in to USB and done (well, I had to remember to hit the on switch). It may be cheaper to DIY, but the Antec kit was easy and worked great.

I have a ~16K lumen DIY array made up of Cree XML 1As on copper MBPCBs @ 2.3A with over engineered passive cooling and never have issues.
You can see the light passing through the skylights and hitting clouds when it's low enough..

Edit: led strips don't work when you have an entire lounge as your office :) These things light the whole room and are the primary light source. The incandescent halogens suck in this house.

Back