Advice for good computer speakers

wtburnette

2[H]4U
My girlfriend recently moved in, so I set her up with my spare PC to use as her own (she only had a crappy little laptop). Everything is good to go, with the exception of sound. The system has nothing but onboard sound right now (Asus Rampage III Formula), though I have a Xonar DX or Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS I could throw in if they would be better.

Anyway, she wants to be able to listen to her music upstairs while she's on the computer, working around the house upstairs, etc. I wanted to get her a set of speakers that would sound decent, without breaking the bank. The only game she plays is Sims 4, so she doesn't need anything fantastic for that.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'd prefer to stay under $250, but the less expensive the better.

A system that never has complaints is the Klipsh Promedia 2.1's, I personally love the Logitech Z623. I do photography and most of my clients absolutely love the sound coming from those speakers and are always surprised they are computer speakers.

I would look at some Mackie MR5mk3, CEntrance masterclass 2504, or Tannoy Reveal 402 . Only the CEntrance comes as a pair though.

If you really want quality, go for the active monitors. All those logitechs and 50 dollar jokes are nothing but toxic waste.

A system that never has complaints is the Klipsh Promedia 2.1's...

I dunno, from personal experience and from what I've read, they tend to crap out at an alarming rate.

The passive speaker route will give the best bang for the buck. Though if you want a simpler "computer speaker" route, Swans makes the best systems hands down.

I dunno, from personal experience and from what I've read, they tend to crap out at an alarming rate.

The passive speaker route will give the best bang for the buck. Though if you want a simpler "computer speaker" route, Swans makes the best systems hands down.

That's highly debatable. Active monitors are purpose designed for close listening and you skip the hassle with the amp.

Active monitors are usually also protected so that you can't burn your tweeters when you want to play loud. A small cheap amp + small cheap passive speaker -> dead tweeters in the near future.

My personal experience is that the control pod tends to take a dump after a while. But the speakers and amplifier and everything else work great. But mine were purchased in 2005 and eventually sold in 2012.

Don't get 'computer' or 'media' speakers, they are more often than not trash.
Klipsch makes some good speakers, I would just leave their promedia line alone.
Logitech makes mice.

Get some speakers from a speaker company in a size that suits you and a sub.
I would try the Fluance SX6's mentioned earlier, if they're not too large for you.

Well, I'll say that I have a set of Logitech Z-560 speakers that I've been rocking since 2002 without any issues whatsoever. Due to that and the recommendation of trentchau, I ended up with the Z623's. The girlfriend loves them and they didn't break the bank. They probably weren't he best for the money, but they seem like they'll do fine. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Back