Advice for an uber-solid gaming pc

oxy4bf2

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
111
Hi everyone,

I've been building PCs and posting on [H] for a while now. I really like researching my own PC components, but this time I want to build a super-stable gaming pc, and that's where single-component reviews and newegg just don't cut it. I need to know which components work well TOGETHER. So that's what I want to ask you guys.

Here are the general guidelines of what I would like in my PC - the rest is up to your advice:

CPU: Core i5 or equivalent AMD quad-core
GPU: Nvidia 200 or 400 series; ATI 4000 or 5000 series
Mobo: which chipset/model has been time-tested and approved?
PSU: Corsair 450 or higher W, any other suggestions?
RAM: So many DDR3 speeds, which module is rock-solid? (Only need 4GB)

I would really like motherboard/chipset advice. Has anyone made a platform (CPU/GPU/mobo/RAM) so stable you've forgotten what a BSOD looks like? That's what I'm going for here.

PS: I've been using ATI for a while now, so I have no experience whatsoever with Nvidia stability/driver issues. How are they?
 
I've been using the Intel P45 chipset for almost 2 years now. I also have a GTX 260. I have had zero hardware or driver related problems. I had one blue screen problem when I first put everything together, but it was the Windows Vista sleep issue, not a hardware one. Once I set it to never sleep, and subsequently got Windows 7, I have had no blue screens whatsoever.

As far as newer chipsets, I've heard good things about the X58.
 
Last edited:
Well here's the thing man: Most of the newer chipsets have been shown to be pretty stable. So in other words, stability isn't exactly a good criteria to use when comparing considering that the stability among most of the newer mid to high-end chipsets are virtually the same or can be the same as long you know the limits of the hardware and can treat it well.

Consider this: My WHS server is currently using a ECS 7050 motherboard, well known for being on the low-end. Yet it's been rock solid stable that I've yet to see a BSOD with it. I haven't had an issue at all with that low-end mobo.

PSU: The 450VX is not a good buy for the money. There are often larger and equal quality PSUs for the same or slightly higher price. i.e:
$80 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU

RAM: Very solid RAM:
$110 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
 
Back
Top