Advice for a friend who isn't local - Video card?

PeteWalker74

Limp Gawd
Friend of mine has an ASUS P5VD1-X motherboard, and currently has a Geforce2 MX (might be MX400 - I can't tell from Windows). I've looked at everything else, including the system memory (which needs bolstering), the cpu is 2.6ghz which is "ok", so I'm looking at replacing the video card. I'm looking for choices for a solid video card, that will run on this motherboard. She only plays WoW, but maybe play WAR down the road, so I'd like it to be able to run both. I know I'm limited by the mobo. Just want something to throw in there to get her by for 6+ months. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I have a great idea! I have a 6800 Ultra AGP card that will run on that. I would be more than willing to selll it

I have all the software and it was barely used because I went to PCI express. It should run those games just fine.

I'd actually try a 3850 card - AGP 8x flavor. The PCI Express x16 slot only gives x4 bandwidth for that board, and ATI does offer their latest driverset 8.10 for the AGP version of the card.

The card gives full DirectX 10 functionality, and enough horsepower to play any game out there at 1024x768 at least (most much higher than that, with AF and some AA, except for the very toughest, Crysis, Stalker, etc...). It's $125.00 or so US - but will "unfortunately" last much longer than 6 months. :D

I have all the software and it was barely used because I went to PCI express. It should run those games just fine.

His friend's motherboard can do pci-express, and for what you're asking for the 6800, he can get a pci-express card like a used 8800gt or a new 9600gt/gso that will walk all over the outdated 6800 series.

I'd also recommend against paying over $100 for the agp 3850, even though the board is 4x, throwing a similar priced 9800GT where she can move to her new system after 6 months will be money well spent, and even if the 9800gt is held back by the bandwidth, it'll still be more than likely faster than the HD3850.

Back