• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

[Advice] 4P Opteron 6174

Thanassos

n00b
Joined
Jun 24, 2008
Messages
44
Hi Guys,

To anyone running these systems already how are you finding it? Are we better off buying the highest 61XX you can or is getting a 6168 going to give you the same end result? Suppose what I'm asking is are the multipliers absolutely locked?

I've got the MoBo ready to go, and just sourcing 4x CPUs from eBay.

Is there a decent 4p "Guide" around or should I write one up given my experiences. I understand it's just throwing CPUS and RAM in but there's been alot of questions I've researched myself and found out everythings all over the place! Especailly with these BIOS flashes/linux kraken etc.

Cheers guys.
 
read in the sticky'd guides, all the info you'll need for getting a 4p up and running, and then there's Tear's OC Bios mod that will get you all you need for OC'ing a 4P (if you have the right motherboard that is)

Really, there's a ton of info in there, Build your system, follow the 4P checklist, and install linux off the linux guide, after that, peer through Tear's thread and you should be pretty much set.

And just for FYI, non-OC'd 6168's (what I'm running right now) will get you between 380-410k ppd on average (over a week, its just a hair shy of a WU a day, take me about 25 or so hours). Once you OC then you can easily get more out of them, but since I have a Tyan board I can't OC
 
Between the sticky guide, this section, and the IRC channel there is more than enough resources to get the setup running at its maximum potential :)
 
Those CPU are multi locked. You can change ref clock only. I'd do the 6174's. What size psu and what are you doing for cooling g? The he spec CPU you can change multi and voltage to some degree.
 
Are we better off buying the highest 61XX you can or is getting a 6168 going to give you the same end result? Suppose what I'm asking is are the multipliers absolutely locked?

Unless you find ES chips, the multipliers are absolutely locked. Buy the fastest 61xx's you can afford. Overclocking percentage is similar for all chips, so faster chips will still be faster after overclocking.

I've got the MoBo ready to go,
Which board did you get?

and just sourcing 4x CPUs from eBay.
May want to check these also if you are in this price range: http://www.starmicroinc.net/product...z-32MHz-FSB-12MB-L3-Cache-Socket-G34-CPU-OEM/
Is there a decent 4p "Guide" around or should I write one up given my experiences. I understand it's just throwing CPUS and RAM in but there's been alot of questions I've researched myself and found out everythings all over the place! Especailly with these BIOS flashes/linux kraken etc.

I doubt you find everything in one place. Not everything involved is 4p G34-specific, so various guides have popped up for the different pieces. I'm sure you have dug them up if you have looked around here a while.
 
Thanks a bunch Musky,

I ended up getting a Supermicro H8QGi+-F as the CPUs are offset (2/3 aren't next to each other) although it has 32DIMMS instead of 16, do I still need to fill all 32? Not a big issue just means I'll get 32 1GB sticks instead of 16 2GB.

And thanks alot for that link to starmicronic, that's pretty much my budget I was going to spend but couldn't find a 6180SE for less than $1000 so settled with 6174's.

As soon as I order the CPUs and they arrive I'll jump on the IRC to tweak my configuration. 4x 6180s should break 24 hours / -bigadv you'd think? Especially with a +12.5% OC.
 
As soon as I order the CPUs and they arrive I'll jump on the IRC to tweak my configuration. 4x 6180s should break 24 hours / -bigadv you'd think? Especially with a +12.5% OC.

6903, yes
 
6904 - not quite - I'm seeing ~15.50/frame

As far as the amount of memory, you only need 16 sticks - 4 per CPU.
 
Right forgot to mention the IRC chan, yea, between all that youve got your bases covered lol
 
Damn they only accept payment and ship to US :( Us Aussies are always stuffed over!

I tried to buy some of these last week but they told me they were out of stock at the last second.
One way if I click on your link they show but when I search from the search box it says nothing found.
Any idea if these are truely back in stock?
 
No idea - I bought mine through that company, but through one of their ebay auctions. I didn't try from their store.
 
I had the same issue when I was going to get those 6180s. I was only buying one, but they said they were on backorder. Never called or emailed to tell me until I called them a couple days after the order. Some stuff changed in my priorities so I cancelled the order. I hope they can still come through, as it is a smoking price for those processors.
 
Setted on 6174s and two of them are arriving this week.

I'm pushing ahead with the final order from Koolance, getting all 4 Waterblocks and will have them installed so I can easily lift them back off and place a CPU under them when I buy the next 2.

From what I'm reading qutie a few guys are running into issues with WU's failing with reference overclocked to 240mhz or higher (2640mhz clock) due to the VRMs over heating.

Obviously, having waterblocks will reduce the airflow over the VRMs which will affect them sooner so should I also order 4x MRV-40s with close enough size heatplates and use themral conductive adhesive to have them on VRMs? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers.
 
Back
Top