• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

advantages of overclocking

unushaunu

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
5
I own an older Celeron 2.4 ghz chip. I was trying to overclock this CPU for faster speeds, but if I have a FSB of 100MHz I really can't see a differance, can I? Which brings me to a quick question. If someone has an overclocked 4.4Ghz processor, and a 400Mhz FSB, they are running into the same bottlenecking as I. So what is the point of overclocking a chip? Please correct me if I am wrong.
 
Fun? Competition? or maybe you're a member of the [H]orde and you want to put out some more units.
 
Ya your question doesn't really make sense at all. Overclocking makes your cpu run faster than the rated speed it was sold for. Your getting more speed out of the chip for less money which is good, not pointless.
 
Also most overclocking is raising the fsb which in turn ups the processor speed. Multiplier increasing without increasing the fsb offers no where near the performance increase that upping the fsb does.
 
What bottleneck do you mean? Your question is kinda out there bro...
 
Im going to assume you meant would overclocking the cpu really make a difference if your FSB is limited to 100mhz. Now heres the kicker, when overclocking, you acheive higher speeds by raising the FSB.

example
a Pentium 4 3.0 has a multiplier of 15

15x200 = 3000mhz

when overclocking

15x250 = 3750mhz

so increasing the speed on intels means you increase the FSB speed as well.
 
yeah, most overclocking involves upping FSB, so a big part of the reason for doing it is to eliminate the memory bottlenect that you are referring to.

additionally, a higher raw core can be benificial, even with the memory bottleneck, since it takes multiple clock cycles to do anything usefull with the data that you are processing.

higher core using increased multipliers is still benificial, just not as benificial as higher core using increased FSB.

however, i believe that you have a locked multi, and so that should not even enter into the discussion, really.
 
Thanks for the input. Sorry about the vauge and off-base question with a pointless example. I ran into a programmer friend of mine and when I told him about my latest endevor, he pummeled me with programmer jargon and told me it was all for no cause. I got dicouraged and was looking to you guys for a come back, but I guess he was wrong all along. I have read all the FAQs and How-To's. I just have to apply them to an untainted unit. Thanks again for the response/reality check. Shawn
 
unushaunu said:
Thanks for the input. Sorry about the vauge and off-base question with a pointless example. I ran into a programmer friend of mine and when I told him about my latest endevor, he pummeled me with programmer jargon and told me it was all for no cause. I got dicouraged and was looking to you guys for a come back, but I guess he was wrong all along. I have read all the FAQs and How-To's. I just have to apply them to an untainted unit. Thanks again for the response/reality check. Shawn


If you dont ask the question youll never know the answer. With one exception, never ask software guys about hardware and vise versa, your just begging to me misinformed in my opinion. :
 
Back
Top