advangage of DDR2?

orangeaccord

Limp Gawd
I know the new M2(k9) 940pin sockets from AMD will use DDR2 memory. What is the advantage of the DDR2 over DDR. I am looking at building a computer so would a 939 with lower latency memory be faster than an M2 with high clocked memory?

why the (k9)? K9 is here already, toledo and manchester :D

the main advantage of ddr2 is higher speeds for more bandwidth, at the cost of timings. typically the higher mhz makes up for the timings and makes latency roughly the same, if not a bit better.

yeah sorry on the K9...i meant just M2. so "theoretically" the higher clock should be faster dispite the higher timings.

It all depends on A) the application being used, and B) the way the memory controller is optimised. Athlon64s have an on-die memory controller. This means, wait times between processor request and memory controller provide functions are virtually non-existent. The bottleneck is the time between the memory controller and the actual memory. Therefore, by keeping the latency low between these two components, performance is always increased. Raw speed means little to an A64, as lower random access to each bank inevitably cuts down the time between the processor request and the mem controller supply. Increasing Mhz at the cost of timings will only result in more data being pushed through at one time, which can be good in some instances such as highly-intensive image/video editing programs, but for everyday use (gaming, watching movies, decoding, etc) the smaller wait time is far better.

banGerprawN said:
Increasing Mhz at the cost of timings will only result in more data being pushed through at one time
depends on how much you raise the timings. i've seen ddr2 do >400mhz at 4-2-2 :cool:

orangeaccord said:
I know the new M2(k9) 940pin sockets from AMD will use DDR2 memory. What is the advantage of the DDR2 over DDR. I am looking at building a computer so would a 939 with lower latency memory be faster than an M2 with high clocked memory?

I don't think you can go wrong with 939 and DDR1. One could argue that the M2 may be around longer, but it will be a while before all the bugs are worked out of any AMD DDR2 platform. You have nice fast X2 CPU's available now. My X2 3800+ does 2750 on air and DDR1 memory is cheap and fast.

(cf)Eclipse said:
depends on how much you raise the timings. i've seen ddr2 do >400mhz at 4-2-2 :cool:
Point taken. It was an extremely generalised statement, though, I'd just like to add that now....:D

yeah, i know ;)
that's one thing i don't like about ddr2.. stock timings are crap. if you get good micron ddr2, you can usually tighten it up a bunch while keeping mhz high :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, i know ;)
that's one thing i don't like about ddr2.. stock timings are crap. if you get good micron ddr2, you can usually tighten it up a bunch while keeping mhz high :cool:
You and your Micron...
"Eclipse, why don't you and the Micron get a frikkin room, fer cryin' out loud!"

banGerprawN said:
Really?! I'm on the case!
heh, ok. i'll check back in tomorrow to see how it does. to set the bar:

micron BT-37E - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=867083#post867083
and that's 3.7ns rated micron.. there's 3.0ns now, and some pc2-8000 rated ballistix, 500mhz (2.0ns) at stock speed. non-micron ddr2 can't even dream of overclocking that high, much less being rated for that.
;)

more micron goodness in corsair UL
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=204&pid=6

Back