Advanced degree in Networking

I have done diploma in database management based upon which I am currently working as a trainee in networking. What are the various options in this field which I can look for to have better career ahead. Looking for your suggestions?

My school has a Networking option, and a Cisco networking option, which is basically the CCNA route (which I am getting on my own), so the degree would be worthless, IMO. So, I'm getting the basic CIS: Networking and a certificate for Network Security. Then, transferring to a 4 year for Information Assurance and Security. I feel that with the generic degree, I can get a decent job anywhere. And with the security stuff, I can go in that direction with enough experience.

You might look into that. I depends on what you want to go. Cisco is one direction, which can be done in college or self study. General networking is another. Or you can get a generic CIS degree and do self study networking (CCNA/CCNP/Juniper, etc.) to compliment the other degree so you don't get locked into a certain field. Basically, that's the route I'm taking. Taking the generic degree and filling in the gaps/specializations with certifications.

What type of "diploma" or "advanced degree" are you actually seeking? Certification's aren't degrees.

Done my diploma in network and communication management. In order to advance my career in this field, looking ahead for various possible options in networking. Kindly revert back with your valuable suggestions.

I'll suggest again: if you want to know how to fruther your career in computer networking and communiations, a better place to ask is in the networking forum. Many people there are networking professionals.

This is the programming and webmastering forum. While most of us know how to network computers, we're much more interested in building our careers programming on top of that network rather than setting it up.

Networking is a very challenging field and there are immense opportunities in this field. Are you looking for regular or online course? It would help you to receive better suggestions.

Hey, a place to unashamedly advertise for my school :)

Western Governors university is an online-only University offering bachelors degrees in multiple IT concentrations (Software, Security, Databases, Network Administration, Network Design and Management, and a general Information technology degree).

The program is competency based, instead of seat time based, so while you have to do a minimum of 12 credits per 6 month semester, you could potentially do those 12 credits in the first couple weeks, and have the rest of the 6 month semester to do as many other credits you want to. Credits are gained by exams, and you gain certifications as well as the degrees. Visit the individual degree concentrations to see which certifications you gain.

www.wgu.edu

Last edited:
Hey, a place to unashamedly advertise for my school :)

Western Governors university is an online-only University offering bachelors degrees in multiple IT concentrations (Software, Security, Databases, Network Administration, Network Design and Management, and a general Information technology degree).

The program is competency based, instead of seat time based, so while you have to do a minimum of 12 credits per 6 month semester, you could potentially do those 12 credits in the first couple weeks, and have the rest of the 6 month semester to do as many other credits you want to. Credits are gained by exams, and you gain certifications as well as the degrees. Visit the individual degree concentrations to see which certifications you gain.

www.wgu.com

you definitely posted the wrong link. www.wgu.edu

Looking for online course as I am unable to spare time for regular classes because of my hectic schedule. Please let me know the best online university to commence my degree and the way to contact the university authority?

I hate to sound like your nanny, but at some point you're going to have to stand up and do something for yourself. If you want help, demonstrate leg work that you've done. This means looking into schools on your own, or at least giving criteria for schools so that others may give their opinions. Otherwise, the advise you'll get will be useless anyway.

US based online universities are well recognized in the market. Moreover these are accredited by US Board of Education. You can refer this website http://www.thedegreeexperts.com where you can look at almost all the online courses and their respective accredited universities. You can also directly contact the university through this website for any further query by just filling a form provided at the website itself.

The best way to learn networking is to really take an all out class in its theory. The only places that offer such classes are usually universities. Most universities offer such a class in the Computer Science department.

Sure you can go and learn how to use all the new technologies,but that tends to be wasteful. It is usually better to understand how the technologies are built and why they function the way they do, this way new technologies are a lot easier to learn and dont need all that much time.

But that's just my opinion, many will disagree.

The best way to learn networking is to really take an all out class in its theory. The only places that offer such classes are usually universities. Most universities offer such a class in the Computer Science department.

Sure you can go and learn how to use all the new technologies,but that tends to be wasteful. It is usually better to understand how the technologies are built and why they function the way they do, this way new technologies are a lot easier to learn and dont need all that much time.

But that's just my opinion, many will disagree.

What kind of "theory" are you talking about? Electric signals, physical timing and encoding, volts, edge currents, and the like?

Or did you mean the "theory" like graph algorithms, mathematic proofs for such algorithms, checksum calculations and proofs, and things like that?

There is more theory I can list, but I don't think it's very helpful in any regard to someone who is a "trainee" in networking. What this person needs is hands-on experience, and if possible, classes will help go a long way.... but computer science classes aren't going to be what he's looking for at all.

What kind of "theory" are you talking about? Electric signals, physical timing and encoding, volts, edge currents, and the like?

Or did you mean the "theory" like graph algorithms, mathematic proofs for such algorithms, checksum calculations and proofs, and things like that?

There is more theory I can list, but I don't think it's very helpful in any regard to someone who is a "trainee" in networking. What this person needs is hands-on experience, and if possible, classes will help go a long way.... but computer science classes aren't going to be what he's looking for at all.

I must agree with this. Computer science classes are really only useful for those of us who want to go into research. I have noticed, in discussions with people who hold bachelors in computer science, that they really are not ready for any specific career in computing, as they typically spend a month or two training when they are hired by whatever company they go to work for.

Don't think I am knocking computer science, I hold a bachelors degree in that, as well as one in IT security, but i do not feel it is really useful for someone who wants to be in IT, or a programmer who wants to write code for a living (Although it IS more useful for the programmer than the IT admin). If that is all people want to do, Comp Sci really isnt for them. Concentrations in IT are a much better avenue for those types.

All I am trying to say is people have taken CS classes in networking as well as network programming and because of them people are able to logically think out new technologies without ever really even reading about them. The reason for such is people understand the fundamentals, the stuff they don't teach in IT classes. people know what makes a network run, and by that they can see quickly what technologies were used in this product. Since they already know the products sub products, it tends to not be all to hard to determine how the full product works and functions.

I was just assuming the first person here, I actually have not taken any CS classes not have a degree in CS. Im a IT guy just like yall.

Last edited:
I disagree. I was once a CCNA, and I have earned both my bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science, each from a different, well-known university on the US East Coast (this doesn't make me a CS expert. I only mention this because it's pertinent to the conversation).

There is very little I learned in computer science that would help me in setting up and designing computer networks. On the contrary, my studies for the CCNA exam (as of 6 years ago), were MUCH more helpful to me in that regard.

I can program network applications. Given time, I could implement TCP/IP on top of any layer 2 protocol that is already defined (and could probably implement many Layer 2 protocols). I can also, given time, integrate this at kernel level to an existing operating system. I can program and optimize (to a limited degree) the algorithms that route packets along the Internet. I can also program a generic device to handle up to and including layer 5.

I don't see how any of that helps someone who is designing a network to get the job done because it's all masked by "theory" as you call it, and implementation and program correctness concerns.

Your suggestion would be similar to asking a person needing to perform some natural language processing to take computer engineering classes because, after all, all of the algorithms they need to learn will be running on a digital computer anyway (because the best way to learn natural language processing is, of course, to learn the theory pertaining to programming such algorithms).

Such a silly suggestion isn't at all useless. In fact, you'd get a really great appreciation (ie technical understanding) of all aspects of the process, but i don't know that the effort is worth the immediate task of natural language processing!

Well there certainly is a reason most top companies ask for CS guys over pure IT guys for the same IT jobs. When I applied for jobs, this is all I see. A recent look at craigslist shows the same exact thing even today. I have no problem dealing with networks, and my only training is theoretical as you guys want to call it. But we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Most companies will always choose the person who they feel is smarter. Im not saying cs people are smarter than IT people(the opposite is likely true), but the cs people have just put in more work which seems harder to the companies. Harder work via school usually correlates to a higher aptitude, which then tells the company that this person seems pretty smart because he has a 3.5 from a top engineering school. He is pretty smart so learning the application usually is not as hard as learning the theory. So they choose him because he is likely a fast learner. A lot of CS students are idiots though, I will give you that. Im not one of them so I dont know. Im just reflecting on what I have noticed in market trends. I dont claim to have a CS degree, or have taken the classes. I just know people who I work with who have and they all seem pretty well off.

Last edited:
Well there certainly is a reason most top companies ask for CS guys over pure IT guys for the same IT jobs. When I applied for jobs, this is all I see. A recent look at craigslist shows the same exact thing even today. I have no problem dealing with networks, and my only training is theoretical as you guys want to call it. But we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Most companies will always choose the person who they feel is smarter. Im not saying cs people are smarter than IT people(the opposite is likely true), but the cs people have just put in more work which seems harder to the companies. Harder work via school usually correlates to a higher aptitude, which then tells the company that this person seems pretty smart because he has a 3.5 from a top engineering school. He is pretty smart so learning the application usually is not as hard as learning the theory. So they choose him because he is likely a fast learner. A lot of CS students are idiots though, I will give you that. Im not one of them so I dont know. Im just reflecting on what I have noticed in market trends. I dont claim to have a CS degree, or have taken the classes. I just know people who I work with who have and they all seem pretty well off.

i'm not an IT guy. I'm a software engineer. You're right that good CS graduates are pretty flexible, but the same could be said for electrical engineering students. so why not take EE classes? [edit]This is not meant to the exclusion of other studies. it was only an example.[/edit]

my point is not that CS classes are worthless to such an individual. my point is that they are unnecessary effort to get off the ground.

your earlier post before your edit said that you took CS classes where you did socket programming. now you say you haven't taken the classes. if you have no clue what you're talking about, why pretend you do? you're entitled to your opinion that you are free to share, but why try to make it sound like you have more experience in the area than you do? i'm on the other end of the internet and don't know you... what do you care if i take your advice seriously or not?

Last edited:
Scotch77 said:
Well there certainly is a reason most top companies ask for CS guys over pure IT guys for the same IT jobs.

Here is the problem with this statement. Your not talking about guys with bachelors degrees in both CS and IT, your talking about Bachelor degrees in CS, and Certifications in IT. The reason for this is simple. They want people who can commit to multiple years of work in the same field without giving up. Most companies are willing to hire anyone with a bachelors degree and put them in (almost) any position they have interest in.

I am speaking from my own experience working with large companies that hire the best people they can get their hands on. They want dedication and the ability to learn over a specific degree. But they do want a degree of some kind. Case in point, I know of multiple people with degrees in art and music fields who are working in the IT departments of some pretty big companies.

The School i went to offered tuns of degree's in IT, CS, and others.
My first degree was a Associates in Applied Science- Cisco Networking: This was the cisco track where i got a degree with other IT classes along with my CCNA. After that i got a Bachelor's in IT with a minor in Network Security. I tooks of different IT, Microsoft and Cisco classes. From this degree i was able to get my CCNP and my CISSP. From there i got my Master's in IT and a CCIE to boot.
The biggest thing about college IT classes is this. You need to decide if you are going to be a microsoft guy or a cisco guy, or a programmer. Then work towards there. I have taken tuns of microsoft classes but never got their certs. Its something that you need to decide on what you like to do in the IT world. There is tuns of different paths to take. I took the road i did because i hate to program. I took one intro class and was like, nope not for me.

To best honest nameless_centurian , all of the IT bosses I have ever had have had EE degrees. I have worked IT in HS, at college and then at around 5-6 other companies after graduation. Every one of them had a EE degree.

Im yet to see a person with a degree in networking become a manager of a department. But again I could be wrong and am just using what I have noticed in my life.

I must agree with this. Computer science classes are really only useful for those of us who want to go into research.
I couldn't disagree more. I think you might have misunderstood nameless, but whether you have or haven't, CS classes and degrees aren't only for people who are doing research.

I have noticed, in discussions with people who hold bachelors in computer science, that they really are not ready for any specific career in computing, as they typically spend a month or two training when they are hired by whatever company they go to work for.
When where you told that earning a degree doesn't mean you don't need more training before becoming self-sufficient in a profession?

I couldn't disagree more. I think you might have misunderstood nameless, but whether you have or haven't, CS classes and degrees aren't only for people who are doing research.

When where you told that earning a degree doesn't mean you don't need more training before becoming self-sufficient in a profession?

People going into research are the ones who benefit the most from CS degrees, CS classes do help in making it easier to step into any role in the technology industry, with on the job training, but they are really not as useful as an IT-Networking/Security/DB bachelors.

Not that there is anything wrong with a CS degree, by any means. I myself have one, but I don't think it is the best course of action for someone who wants to be an IT guy.

I never said that it doesn't take more training, I was making a comment regarding an earlier statement about degrees and jobs.

Last edited:
People going into research are the ones who benefit the most from CS degrees, CS classes do help in making it easier to step into any role in the technology industry, with on the job training, but they are really not as useful as an IT-Networking/Security/DB bachelors.
I'm glad that you've changed your mind, but I still think you're entirely wrong about the usefulness of the degree. Applicability does depend on application, of course; someone going for an IT job doesn't really need a CS degree, sure. But the more lucrative jobs in the field are doing engineering, and you'll want a CS degree for that.

I'm glad that you've changed your mind, but I still think you're entirely wrong about the usefulness of the degree. Applicability does depend on application, of course; someone going for an IT job doesn't really need a CS degree, sure. But the more lucrative jobs in the field are doing engineering, and you'll want a CS degree for that.

I agree you want a CS degree for engineering, I suppose Engineering/Research would make my statement more accurate. I tend to group the two together anyway. But you are right, engineers benefit from a CS degree as well.

Why would you group engineering and research together? Software engineering and software research are substantially different vocations.

I think you might have misunderstood nameless, but whether you have or haven't, CS classes and degrees aren't only for people who are doing research.

Yes, I disagree as well. I actually think that most CS degree-granting schools are pretty useless in preparedness for research.

I must agree with mikeblas, if you want to make the big bucks and move up the ladder a engineering degree is likely a good move. Whether you want to do IT, management, engineering itself or be a patent lawyer a degree in CS/Engineering will really help. Life and the careers we have are not really about what we know, but rather what people think we know.

Sure you can go and get a degree in database or network administration, you will likely make a nice pay-check and live a modest life. The problem is you really don't have much room to grow without further education.

As mentioned here by others , companies want a sure thing, which is why they tend to look for engineering students. The engineering students have put in the time and have proved they are moderately smart, its nearly impossible to get through engineering school if you don't have the intellect. While many of you are correct, that CS doesn't directly provide one with knowledge of network application, it does prove that the student is pretty smart. Good at math, good at science and thus good with technical material. A good market example of companies hiring people with no background of the job they will be doing is investment banking. Many investment banks hire tons and tons of engineering students, sometimes or usually even over finance students who have direct training. These investment companies do this because they see the benefit of hiring proven people.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for referring such a helpful link. It provided me the path to get all my doubts cleared about online education.

I'm not sure about the rest of the IT industry, but in the networking field, experience is paramount, certifications tend to come second, and any actual degree you have tends to come third, unless it's a Masters.

Please view this post
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034768627&postcount=17

quoted here
I was just assuming the first person here, I actually have not taken any CS classes not have a degree in CS. Im a IT guy just like yall.

Please view this link
quoted here
I have nothing to prove, I know what I am talking about from both an academic and industry approach. If you don't believe me then so be it. I have a BS and MS in CS from a top 10 school, though to me that means nothing. I now work in the Watson Lab at IBM as a kernel programmer.

In this thread, you claim to have not taken any CS classes and are an IT guy, and in another thread you claim to have both a BS and MS in CS and are a kernel programmer at IBM.

I'm not sure what your point is in coming on to the forums and intentionally misleading people, in addition to editing posts so they agree with your current lie. Please knock it off for good, or I'll ask a moderator to take action.

I've been demonstrated wrong several times on this forum. There's nothing wrong with it. But please don't devalue the forum by coming here and lying about your credentials and insulting others (see the 2nd link's thread) in order to defend your point.

If you don't know something, ask. If you do know, share. If you think you know, share and be ready to be corrected.

Thanks, Nameless. I thought that name rang a bell, and now I know why!

Why would you group engineering and research together? Software engineering and software research are substantially different vocations.

Mostly because I tend to do both on a daily basis. I know, a very biased perspective. That tends to be the majority of my thoughts.

Back