Adtran 3200 problem

Spartacus

2[H]4U
I got roped into doing a T1 cut-over the other day. The T1 router is an Adtran 3200 that needs to be re-programmed for the new circuit. I never worked on one of these before, but I figured out the CLI, almost exactly like a PIX.

I got the router setup well enough to show the circuit is good and for them to activate it. I had to fall back to the old T1 due to a problem though.

The one problem I'm having is that I can't change the local IP of the router itself through telnet. Every time I enter the new IP it drops the telnet session immediately before I get a chance to save the config. The box will not re-connect under the new IP either. So the box gets stuck in limbo and I have to re-power it to get back in under the old IP.

Is there a trick to do it through telnet, or do I have to go find a console cable?

You need a console cable to change the interface IP you are telneting to.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
Dug through my box 'o cables and found one, hope it works.

I haven't had to setup a router through the console port in a while.

Would be nice if the new IP setting only took effect when the config was saved.

Do these Adtrans have any type of http setup page or no?
(tried browsing to the same IP as I telnetted, but no go)

Far as i know they are CLI only. Just a question but why are you messing with the adtran? Doesn't it belong to the ISP?

It's a long sad story.... normally I don't like messing with the T1 router. I like just dealing with the customer side equipment. Normally that's the way it goes. ISP installs and tests the T1 and I have a live connection to deal with.

The boneheads that ordered up this customer's first T1 didn't know anything about needing a T1 interface router at all. I was also the lucky guy to go out on that one. I get there thinking all I have to do is switch the PIX from a satellite connection to a T1 router and away we go. I get out there and there is a raw T1, no router.

So I call up and say "uhhh something's missing here". I get lots of stories about people ordering things not understanding what's needed and so on.

So we talk this over with our subcontractors who do our site wiring jobs, the guy says, "Oh, we've installed those". So he orders up the Adtran, and installs it, then I'm able to do the rest.

So now they are switching T1's, and for whatever reason the ISP is not doing the re-programming and testing of the customer owned Adtran. The guy who installed it the first time is out of town, so it's show time for me again.

Seems like it's only this one account of ours that's like that. In most other cases, the ISP handles their own router. I have to fix a lot of AT&T screw-ups on their DSL routers, but I've learned to expect that. The T1's are usually ready to go.

I'm glad to hear you ask this question about the ISP should be doing this, I'm not happy about it either.

An ISP will never configure customer-owned equipment in my experience. It's not their job. Even though my own company provided the circuits for my network I still had to do all of the router configs for our T1s and OC-3s myself.

Turning up a T1 should be relatively easy especially if there was already a working T1 previously. All you should have to do is re-IP it. I've only done that on Cisco gear though so no help on the Adtran config sorry. You shouldn't need to mess with framing, linecode, timeslots, etc...

I got it done. Wasn't so bad once I found a console cable.

>>An ISP will never configure customer-owned equipment in my experience. It's not their job.

I know that's the common practice in the corporate environment. There's a full time IT staff and many times a separate group that handles the T1 stuff.

We service only small business clients though. Except for this one client, we've never had to program a T1 router. The ISP always handles that.

That's the fun part of the IT biz I guess, you always get to do new things. :)

Back