ADSL modem and wireless router

merc1170

n00b
So I got myself a Gigabyte GN-BR01G wireless router to connect to my ADSL modem that is also a LAN switch, but I have a problem. I have managed to configure the two so that I can access internet via the wireless network, but I can't access shared folders or ping PCs that are connected to the ADSL modems LAN ports.

The IP address for the ADSL modem is 192.168.0.254 and the PCs connected to them have 192.168.0.x IPs.

The wireless router IP address is 192.168.1.254 and PCs connected to it get IPs automatically from the wireless routers DHCP.

So basically I guess I have to get the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x subnets to work with each other but I don't know how I should do it. The wireless router doesn't support bridging. How I got them working so that I can access internet via wireless was by following this doc: http://jaidev.info/home/docs/Wireless_And_ADSL_Router_HOWTO

I'd like to keep them connected to the ADSL modem because most of the time I have more PCs needing LAN connections than there is ports in one device.

Disable the DHCP server on the wireless router, set it to an unused 192.168.0.X IP, plug it into the modem via one of the regular LAN ports (not the WAN/Internet port).

Then you should be good to go.

You are getting double NAT'ed. Get a new switch and hang it off the router for more ports.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Connecting to the LAN port solved it. Didn't realize it was that easy - damn WAN port led me astray!

Thanks for the help! And sorry, I forgot to mention there isn't NAT in the wireless router.

Back