ADSL - internet connection drops out

TehQuick

2[H]4U
I need an advice/help trying to figure the following. I'm running D-Link modem/router 2600u, and lately it's misbehaving. Occasionally, in the morning I get no internet connection even though the modem shows connection (DSL/Internet LEDs are lit up, and I actually can get into the admin interface on the modem, where it shows that the connection is up, with upstream/downstream connection working and IP assigned to it by the ISP). Still, the computer does has no internet connection. The strange thing is that this issue happens in the morning and so far, in the evening the internet comes back. And it does not happen consistently.

So the question is: is this a hardware problem with the modem, or some software issue with the computer, or is my ISP playing games with me? I did contact them and they can't figure it out over the phone and offer to send in a technician (for a fee). The chances are that by the time that guy comes in, internet will be back so I'm trying to troubleshoot it myself and hope for a guru help here :)

When you lose connection, do you reset any of the hardware (router, modem)?
I have almost the exact same problem and i have to unplug and replug my router.
Jumping in to see what fix you come up with.

yeah, I try rebooting modem, doesn't help (using power button). The weird thing is, I leave the setup w/o any changes and in the evening (as a rule) it just comes back, without me doing anything.

Darknite, does your connection come back up in the evening? Or you just power cycle the modem and it works again?

Last edited:
This sounds to me like some kind of problem with the loop, but it's really hard to say where. Try your modem as close to the demarc as you can with all other phone line devices disconnected from the line (ie. phones, faxes etc.) and see if you can get connected while down. If it works, at least you know it's something in your place that's causing it.

Otherwise I would phone your ISP when it's down and get them to test the signal levels from their end and see if they are showing a fault. I can't believe they want to charge you to come out even if the problem is their fault, that's pretty ridiculous, you need to pay extra for your service to work properly?

wired or wireless to the router? I'm not familiar with that one.

next time it happens, try a tracert to, say, google.com or even your ISPs homepage.

see where the connection starts timing out. If it's past the modem, then it's somewhere on their end, and not at your house.

No. Mine just takes a few minutes and will come back up. But it will be slow for a bit and it runs slow alot. I do live in a crappy building so that might be part of it.
If you do call the company keep us updated.

i had an issue where my internet dropped out a lot during a certain time of day. Wasn't router or modem, and att said their side was good.

After a while i decided to go check my phone box outside and found the screws were loose. Tightened them up and haven't had issues since. I guess the the temperature of day caused the wires to expand and contract? not sure.

edit: probably not your issue after rereading. My modem internet light would be off during this time, and modem was getting no ip.

OK, I got this problem in the evening, so it's not time-specific. The tracert shows 192.168.1.2 is not reachable even though I can still access the router at 192.168.1.1. And I found two networks in the network/sharing center even though I have only one LAN adapter, what's up with that? I disabled/enabled LAN adapter and internet came back. But I still dunno what causes the second local connection appear.

Last edited:
Back