Adobe Reader: where to download?

raksasas

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have a good location to download Adobe Reader?
I used to use Adobe.com to get reader (full) before they forced you to download the downloader to download Adobe Reader.
I then found it on Softpedia.com but I can never get the two main download locations to work. I was able to get it downloaded using one of the mirror's but with the release of 8 there are no mirrors expect for other language.

Anyone have another location that I could get it from?

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

Get the switchless installer version of Reader 8 from RyanVM's page. Doesn't ask you for anything, it just installs and then you're ready to roll without all the stupid user prompts and questions and... well... you'll figure it out.

Hope this helps...

Does that also leave out the Google toolbar and Adobe Photowhatever? I'm so sick and tired of having to uncheck boxes for crap I don't want. (Make it at least Opt-in or get a program that is somewhat useful).

I use Foxit reader It dosent install all that crap you dont want or need, Adobe photo, toolbar, etc... and its way faster opening documents than Adobe. Also smaller file size and quicker install.

ryan_975 said:
Does that also leave out the Google toolbar and Adobe Photowhatever? I'm so sick and tired of having to uncheck boxes for crap I don't want. (Make it at least Opt-in or get a program that is somewhat useful).

It's the version you want, I promise. :) No BS, no additional crap, all that is left out with the switchless installer.

If you install the switchless Adobe Reader 8, and then go into the Adobe directory and rename the plugins directory to something else, like say OLDplugins, Reader will load in like a second flat on most machines. It's all those plugins for all the features that slow it down. There's a piece of software out there that does that for you automagically:

Reader SpeedUp

I've used FoxIt and I do like it, but there are display issues with some files that don't render properly, so I still prefer to use the real thing, especially after I tweak it for speed just by renaming that directory.

Just offering other solutions...

bbz_Ghost said:
If you install the switchless Adobe Reader 8, and then go into the Adobe directory and rename the plugins directory to something else, like say OLDplugins, Reader will load in like a second flat on most machines.
No kidding. I'll have to try that out on my wife's machine when I get home...

Don't bother with Adobe's load times; Foxit Reader takes less than 5 seconds in most scenarios.

Foxit ftw. :p

JaYp146 said:
Don't bother with Adobe's load times; Foxit Reader takes less than 5 seconds in most scenarios.

Foxit ftw. :p

5 seconds? For FoxIt? Didn't you mean to say .5, or half a second? 5 seconds? My god... I don't think anyone has FoxIt load times that long... but I said after the renaming of the plugins directory Reader can load in around a second flat - especially if it's been used once already and part of it's code is still cached in RAM.

5 seconds... good lord, that's an eternity for FoxIt.

ps
I just renamed the plugins directory with my Wife looking over my shoulder - and she's a BIG FoxIt fan herself. She basically said "Wow, wow... like, wow..." because Reader 8 just appeared onscreen almost as soon as I double clicked the .exe file. Give it a chance... you might be surprised. :)

I'm running AR8 and it loads super fast. only time it loaded slow was the first ever start. since then it loads less then a second.

Back