Adobe Reader/Acrobat eating CPU

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Couldn't figure out why I could hear my CPU fan surging high and low RPM while working in MS Word on some documents... come to find out Acrobat idle process was eating up 90-100% of my CPU and my CPU was running 70-80*C

Is there a known version conflict or issue with Win7, MS Word 2007 or anything like that anyone is aware of?

For some reason now when I load a PDF it skyrockets my CPU and scrolling in the PDF is unavailable for the first 30 seconds or so.

4670k / 8gig / 256gb SSD / Win7... tons of free space, free ram, etc...

There any particular reason you have to use Adobe Reader / Acrobat? It's notorious for crashing, eating memory / cpu / hanging browsers and anything else attached to it. I deal with about 40 computers with it installed at work and have to tell people to kill its process several times a week. Opening 10+ PDF's at the same time is almost a guaranteed crash / freeze of the reader / browser.

As a result I suggest users use either Chrome or Firefox's built in PDF viewer whenever possible, unless for some reason they need the actual functionality of Acrobat like combining pages / stamping.

Yes there shouldn't be an Acrobat idle process, that's just it hanging and failing to close.

Its notorious for doing this, and Adobe still hasn't fixed it. A reinstall may help, but apparently a lot of the issues are caused by the welcome messages and marketing messages.

Going to Edit -> Prefs -> General, unchecking "Show me messages..." and checking "Don't show messages..." may help.

You need to kill the hung process and you may also need to clear the message cache at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Acrobat\11.0\ReaderMessages.

Yep -- you guys are right they are hung processes.

I ONLY use Adobe Acrobat as part of MS Outlook conversion to PDF, and then preview once conversion is done. For business it's much easier to deliver a .PDF file than a .DOCX or .DOC, etc... it's just more widely available to read.

For web stuff I have Print to PDF plugins that work fine.

I think I'll look into a new invoicing method, that will fix 99% of my adobe problems as I don't use it for anything but reading then... and then like you guys mentioned it's in-browser.

Back