Adobe Issues Security Advisory For 29 Security Flaws

HardOCP News

[H] News
Adobe, a world leader in overlooking critical security flaws in its own products, has issued yet another security advisory today. This time around the update addresses a total of 29 security flaws and critical vulnerabilities for everything from Flash Player, to Acrobat, Reader, and more.

Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and ChromeOS. These updates address critical vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Platform: Windows, Macintosh, Linux and ChromeOS.

Don't know who runs their security team but they should have their medical marijuana license revoked.

Okay, thanks for the spit take I did while reading "world leader in overlooking critical security flaws in its own products..."

While humorous, it remains accurate.

The patch should just be an uninstaller for both Acrobat and Flash.

There's no reason to use Flash anymore. I removed it from both my Windows Desktop and my XUbuntu Laptop and have not noticed one site I could not use as a result.

KILL FLASH ALREADY, ADOBE.

bbc.com (BBC News) is the only site I've run across so far that won't play video without Flash Player. I'm a bit baffled as to why they can't do what every other website I've ever encountered can do because they seem otherwise reasonably competent for a news website. Maybe some stupid British copy protection legislation?

Plenty of major Finnish services still use it, plus couple of video things here and there, so I have to keep it on my machine (even if only turn it on when absolutely necessary).

There's no reason to use Flash anymore. I removed it from both my Windows Desktop and my XUbuntu Laptop and have not noticed one site I could not use as a result.

KILL FLASH ALREADY, ADOBE.

Indeed. My Win10 install is the first install ever where Flash has never been present.

I visited my parents this summer and they still have (had) it. Again, the bubble we live in here; we all know to uninstall a nasty program that has been made to seem quite necessary; the HTML5 thing didn't get outside of a small-ish sphere of techies, so many people still see Flash as needed. My parents thought they couldn't use YouTube without it.

Indeed. My Win10 install is the first install ever where Flash has never been present.

I visited my parents this summer and they still have (had) it. Again, the bubble we live in here; we all know to uninstall a nasty program that has been made to seem quite necessary; the HTML5 thing didn't get outside of a small-ish sphere of techies, so many people still see Flash as needed. My parents thought they couldn't use YouTube without it.

Kongregate.com still relies on flash and I rely on it to burn through the night shift. Have to agree though flash needs to die off.

Even in Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11 and Edge have Flash Player built in. Flash can be disabled in both of those browsers. Trying to remove it from them may be more trouble than it's worth; doing so might screw up updating IE and Edge.

Wow...I did not know that. I never use either, so I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Adobe Flash gets regular (once a month or so) updates in Windows 10 via Windows Update. I tried removing the Adobe Flash files from the hard disk but Windows 10 update then repeatedly failed attempting to apply Flash updates, so I gave up and put the files back. I disabled Flash usage in the browser. Until MS decides Flash need not exist, it will still exist on Windows 10 as dead wood on the hard drive.

So if you do use this version of Flash, it makes Twitch and YouTube not play correctly, probably among others. Either go back to the previous version or don't use it at all. Broke if you update, security hole if you don't.

So if you do use this version of Flash, it makes Twitch and YouTube not play correctly, probably among others. Either go back to the previous version or don't use it at all. Broke if you update, security hole if you don't.

Remove Flash entirely, and Youtube will use HTML5 instead. For Twitch, they appear to be working away from Flash, enough that you may be able to force Twitch to use HTML5, but I'm not a Twitch user so I can't comment about whether it works.

Back