Adobe Issues An Emergency Flash Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
Guess what? Adobe had to plug another damn hole it its software. Why? Oh you know, the it's the old "hackers can remotely take control of your computer" thingy.....again. :rolleyes:

"This vulnerability could allow an attacker to remotely take control of the affected system," Adobe wrote in a blog post. "Adobe is aware of reports that an exploit for this vulnerability exists in the wild, and recommends users apply the updates referenced in the security bulletin."

Can we just get rid of flash so i can stop downloading updates? And Java while we are at it

Agreed this Java and Flash is getting old. Rinse and repeat isn't my style.

Yeah, Java is awful too. Between the two of them, it's sort of like a neck-and-neck race to Exploitville on a pair of trains made from the worst, most stinky stuff a developer's cat can leave in the litter box.

Maybe Steve can save on column inches and only post a thread when there is NOT a remote code execution exploit for Flash.

So in other words, hackers finally found new security holes to get into anyone's computer and poke around or take control of it that Adobe intentionally put there so they can do it? Yep, got it. :p

Removed Java from all my machines a few years ago and really haven't missed it (though I can no longer use NASA's NEO site to track incoming earth killers, lol)

Flashblock (and/or Noscript) has been really useful for whitelisting only wanted Flash content. I'm sure it's saved my ass once or twice from this nifty "remote control" feature :D

what some people don't seem to understand is that adobe and java take great pleasure in getting their holes plugged on a regular basis... you could say it's their only vice

Google Chrome automatically updates to the newest Adobe Flash plugin for the browser. If you run Chrome, paste this into your browser and hit enter to check your plugin versions. If you have Chrome's automatic updates turned off, you will have to go to "About Google Chrome" and update manually.

chrome://plugins/

Mine is the newest.
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 12.0.0.44
Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0

"Install Now" button just links to the home page. Good job Adobe web admins.

Hmm... We just brought in some pen testers at work. Wonder if they will be able to use this exploit. Guess I'll find out in a few days lol.

Adobe owns a large data center in Utah for analyzing web usage (Omniture now Adobe Insight).

Who else owns a large data center in Utah designed to "analyze" your usage?

Probably a coincidence Adobe products have a long history of always allowing someone to access your computer remotely no matter how many times they patch the software.

Back