Adobe Figured out a Way to Copy Realistic Photo Styles from One Picture to Another

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Adobe has introduced a new AI retouching tool that lets you replicate the look from one image to another. The sample images speak for themselves, really. While many see this as an extremely lazy way of photo editing, this new potential feature for future versions of Photoshop and Lightroom seems like it goes above and beyond what your average retoucher is capable of.

…if you’ve got a picture of a cityscape shot on a sunny morning, you can have it look like the photo was taken at dusk by introducing a reference image photographed in the evening and with matching weather conditions. The end result won’t have any of its lines and shapes altered. What’s particularly impressive about the algorithm is that it can make intelligent minute adjustments like adding light to the windows of a skyscraper – similar to how a human photo retoucher would approach the challenge of mimicking a reference photo. Plus, it avoids issues like copying over the appearance of the sky from a reference image onto a building in the target photo.

Deblurring, content aware modifiers, algorithms that can actually illuminate individual windows in a skyscraper...

I cannot wait until I can just take a shit on a paper towel, snap a picture of it, run a Photoshop filter, and marvel as it barfs out a gorgeous masterstroke that would make the great artists of yesteryear green with envy.

Interesting.

For a creator like myself, sometimes we take a photo and forget how to get the same effect because the RAW file was deleted.
Currently, we can copy adjustments from one RAW file to another in LR, but this is copying adjustments from a JPEG to a JPEG/RAW file. Wow.

Of course people will use this for lazy editing and creators will get mad because their editing styles are being copied.

This could be perfect for remastering old black and white photos (by adding some cues) and maybe it will translate well to video.
I'm not a fan of previous techniques, the colours are too uniform.
World War 1 could look a lot more realistic.

Reactions: dgz
like this
This will allow artists to take their photos to the next level.
This will let me take photos that look good

You can see blatant problems in some of the new photos, and that at just a couple inches wide, meaning if viewed full screen or if printed there would obviously be issues with all the photos... But it is still pretty cool.

You can see blatant problems in some of the new photos, and that at just a couple inches wide, meaning if viewed full screen or if printed there would obviously be issues with all the photos... But it is still pretty cool.

Yeah, but what it might work REALLY well for is for event photographers. Get a couple pictures adjusted how you like, let the computer extrapolate to the entire event. Where stuff is more closely related to beigin with, you might get better results.

Back