administrative control

enm4r

Weaksauce
I have been tasked to keep 4 computers up and running that about 50-60 different people will be using. 2 are XP, 2 are 98se. Basically I want the users to only be able to run the programs I install and save where I say they can. No changing display settings, no installing, etc. I do not want them all to have different logins, just one User login will work. All I really want is the computer to distinguish me, who has unlimited control and them, who can run anything but save only where I say. I don't need to worry about hiding files or anything like that. They can have read access to anything they want, that is not a problem. What is the easiest way to do this?

4 Computers?

First, get them on the same OS. WindowsXP is a far cry better than 98se, so go with that.

Then, you will want to create a limited user and an administrative user. Were this me, and you don't care to assign individual accounts for every user, I would set it up to auto login the limited account.

I knew the XP computers would be easier, and they are already setup with limited accounts, but I would like it so that they cannot install anything, and some programs slip by. Either way, XP is the least of my concerns. The 98se machines, will be more difficult, but I can't help that. They are P3 500 or so with 128mb of ram. Not only would XP run horribly, I don't have the money for it. I was thinking there has to be some sort of registry limiting program or something like along those lines. The machines are only using the internet and office so I'm not in a hurry to get XP or even new computers to replace them.

98se is insecure by design. There are programs you can buy to help lock them down, but honestly, it's money better spent to upgrade to xp. Further, for anybody mildly interested in trying, they won't have any problems getting around any approach you may try.

The machines aren't blazing, but if you turn off all the eye candy, they'll run pleny fast.

About the stuff that slips by: Not much you can do about that. If I want to install something in a directory I made, I will probably be able to, assuming the program doesn't write data to a restricted registry key.

Originally posted by XOR != OR
4 Computers?

First, get them on the same OS. WindowsXP is a far cry better than 98se, so go with that.

Then, you will want to create a limited user and an administrative user. Were this me, and you don't care to assign individual accounts for every user, I would set it up to auto login the limited account.

What he said, then www.deepfreezeusa.com : )

Back