Adlib Gold reverse engineered

erek

[H]F Junkie
"I present you a reversed engineered AdLib GOLD - more info will be available soon
1f642.png

A card for the person that has all other soundcards" - Leo

1653148261003.png

1653148271250.png

1653148290996.png

1653148299562.png

1653148312660.png

1653148327521.png

Why do I want this? Or should I say need?
Or is it a case of if I need to ask then...

Reactions: erek
like this
Why do I want this? Or should I say need?
Or is it a case of if I need to ask then...

Oh, you definitely don't NEED it, but AdLib Gold was a very interesting soundcard in DOS history. Few people remember that the Creative Labs SoundBlaster card was an AdLib clone that added PCM sound effects capability. The AdLib Gold was the (very late) response to that, and reportedly Creative Labs (which had then attained a dominate position in the industry) played a lot of dirty pool to sabotage it's release. The card itself had pretty amazing specs and sound quality for the day, but never sold very well and was poorly supported in games. Actual AdLib Gold cards are thus super rare and hard to find (even rarer than Roland LAPC1 and SCC1 cards).

Clint at LGR did a video about it.

Why does anyone care? Its just using an FM sound chip, just like rtrh Sega genesis, and several early 80s arcade games!

I'm sure somebody already reverse-engineered several of these sound chips, or else all of these overkill FPGA consoles wouldn't exist!

Reactions: erek
like this
Why does anyone care? Its just using an FM sound chip, just like rtrh Sega genesis, and several early 80s arcade games!

I'm sure somebody already reverse-engineered several of these sound chips, or else all of these overkill FPGA consoles wouldn't exist!

Emulation isn't going to help your 386/486/Pentium system have sound.

There are still tons of old computers floating around, but there aren't a lot of Adlib Gold cards around, and the ones that are will fetch eye watering sums of money.

Back