Adjusting CPU and Memory Clocks..

ethraax

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
174
So I'm getting this new computer with a Q6600 in a IP35-Pro, with a nice TRUE cooler. I'm going to overclock the Q6600, possibly to 3.4 or 3.6ghz, whatever it lets me safely get to. Anyway, I have a question about the RAM...

Most of the time the RAM runs at 1:1 with the CPU. At 3.4GHz:

CPU FSB = 3.4GHz / 9 ~= 377.7778
RAM Speed = 378 * 2 = 756 MHz

Now this makes perfect sense for DDR2-800 RAM, but what if I got DDR2-1000 RAM, such as this G.Skill 4GB (2x2) kit for $90? Could I run at 1:1.5, which would set the RAM at 1134MHz (overclock, but I could step down from 1:1.5)? Would that yield any sort of noticable gain, or will it be better just to get the DDR2-800?

Thanks in advance,
 
For that price I would definately go with the DDR2-1000. With a 378 FSB you can run your RAM at a 1:1.25 for DDR2-945 and try to tighten the timings, or go ahead and OC your ram as you suggested with looser timings.

You can try it both ways and run some benches to see what works best for you.
 
Oh yea, I completely forgot to ask: The RAM is marked for SLi, but I can still run it without SLi, right? I would be very surprised if I couldn't, but I want to double-check >.>
 
RAM marked as EPP doesn't really make a difference if you plan to OC them...I might suggest a 4:5 FSB:RAM ratio...

400FSBx9 = 3.6GHz
500MHzx2 = 1000MHz effective
 
Or you could try for 1:1 ratio with the DDR2 1000
something like:

500FSBx7 = 3.5Ghz
500Mhzx2 = 1000Mhz RAM speed
while maintaining a 1:1 ratio
 
Back
Top