Additional GPU - need a new psu?

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a hdplex 250W plus a voodoo 350w power adapter and thought about adding another gtx 970 (mini). Would my current PSU setup be able to handle it?

system specs
x99e-itx mono
16gb dominator ram
nvme sad
4 120mm fans
aquaero
evga 970 gtx mini
d5 pump

Last edited:
I don't know much about that external power adapter, but running two 970s on a 350W supply, even if 100% of that 350W is dedicated to the GPU, sounds like a dicey proposition. NVIDIA guidelines recommend a minimum 28A capacity on the 12 rail for a single 970, and even at 90% efficiency that's over 350W already.

What sort of enclosure is this in? How do you have space for an SLI board and two cards but not an ATX/SFX power supply?

I would love to say you are fine, but I would imagine that even if it worked, you would be pushing the limit (which might show itself during gaming or whatnot). The power adapter is a cool idea, but I would either get a new primary PSU with maybe 2x that amount of power and rated at least bronze. Or, if you really did not want to spend too much, you could try getting something like the old Optiplex power bricks that have an 8-pin as an input, and split that into the two pins you will need. Not sure this is ideal though, as it would likely not be able to be connected all the time since it has no way of knowing when the mobo is off or on.

Back