Adding Users to the Login Screen While on a Domain

Certain

Limp Gawd
I currently have a situation where I placed a computer on a domain. This is a computer that is in a classroom and its connected to a projector and sound system. Visiting professors use it to display powerpoint presentations and whatever else they feel may be relevant to the class. It was decided that this machine should be placed on the domain so that the local professors who have limited access to the network and certain shares can easily access those shares by logging in to the pc with their domain username and pass. Typically though, visiting professors as well as the local ones all use a standard local account that they all share for the purpose of simple presentations.

The problem is, after the computer was added to the domain, it no longer displays the local user accounts. In order for a visiting professor to login, they would have to type computername\username then the password in order to login instead of just clicking on the user and then logging in. I can't tell you how much back and forth this causes for me. Is there a way that I can add the user accounts back to the login screen so that they can just click on it and input the credentials like they did for the standard local accounts before the add to the domain, or is this some type of security feature that would have to be allowed by a higher admin above me?

oops misread the last part. not sure if thats possible, but you'd have to check out the group policy settings to verify.

What OS are you using?

From off the top of my head though, I don't think you are going to be able to accomplish what you want to do.

I've never found a way to do this. Instead, I've setup auto-logins. Then, if an actual user needs to login, they can log off and log in as themselves.

Not ideal, but doable.

If you are running XP, i think you can download tweak UI to get the welcome screen back

These are all Windows 7 machines. From my research on the ole Googles....I don't think its possible to do it. Its only two computers so its not that big of a deal. I just set the group policy so that the login always defaults to the local computer. That way all they have to do is type in the user and pass without having to worry about typing in or remembering the local computer name. I would love to have it even simpler than that but it seems thats as good as its going to get so I'll take it. Its better than nothing.

Is there a way to get the old login screen with the drop-down to choose the domain? Again thats not really a big deal since people rarely log into the domain on these machines. It would just be good to have for those rare occasions.

I've never found a way to do this. Instead, I've setup auto-logins. Then, if an actual user needs to login, they can log off and log in as themselves.

Not ideal, but doable.
Yeah, I have an autologin setup on one pc where out of town students and professors go to do things like print boarding passes from airline sites. But its just that one account so its all good. The PC's in the classroom have 2 different accounts that are utilized by the staff and professors so I didn't go for the autologin there.

Last edited:
This is not possible but I will tell you a trick that will help you out greatly. If you do a lot of scripting you might know that the . char is a synonym for the local computer name in a lot of things. This also applies to the vista / 7 login screen. So instead of having to tell professions to use blah-2334-679468\username for this room and something else for the next room. You can just tell them to use .\username. We use this in our environment with zero complaints for those lucky enough to get local admin accounts.

I was about to say the same thing, in a domain environment where every user is defaulting to the domain just precede the user name with '.\' and it will then default to the local computer.

Example:
Switch User
Username: .\example
Password: password

User will then be logged on to the local machine with their credentials

I'll keep that in mind. But if you knew my users you'd know that that isn't possible. LOL. These are people who claim they don't know how to unplug telephones. I wouldn't dare begin to try and instruct them to use the ".\example" on anything.

Back