Adding usb stick to ssd computer as storage?

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
Can you add a usb flash stick to a computer as storage (instead of a hdd/ssd) and leave it connected all the time with no issues like loosing data over time?

You probably can since people even install/boot from usb sticks.

I heard if you leave it on a shelf it will loose the data over time, but does leaving it plugged in powered make it store indefinitely. Or does the ntfs or et4 refresh files somehow?

I read there was some issue with some ssds where the data had to be rewritten after a few months, I'm guessing a usb flash drive wouldn't do this?

I read there was some issue with some ssds where the data had to be rewritten after a few months

This becomes a problem if the cells are close to their wear out limit.

I'm guessing a usb flash drive wouldn't do this?

It has the same NAND or worse than an SSD.

USB deives, especially cheap ones, aren't meant for constant reads and writes such as a regular drive is designed to do. They'll wear out quickly and die.

I can't speak for the pricier versions of thumb drives, so they might have better longevity.

Note: I used a Sandisk 32GB thumb drive (one of those physically tiny sized ones) as a Linux OS drive (command line, no GUI) and that sucker died within four months. Used that box as a folding@home rig.

Actually maybe I wasn't clear enough what I actually mean.

I want to use a usb flash drive like adding an extra hdd to an ssd computer (for storage of media files to playback etc.). It would be always connected but only written to occasionally. So it's not the main OS drive and it wouldn't have programs installed on it.

I know about the limited number of writes but it would only be written to occasionally. But would the stored data dissipate over time? I read not to use a usb flash drive for backup etc. because the data which is storaged electricty can dissipate. Does leaving it plugged in and powered everyday prevent this?

Or has anyone used a flash drive like this with no problems like corrupted file etc?

Actually maybe I wasn't clear enough what I actually mean.

I want to use a usb flash drive like adding an extra hdd to an ssd computer (for storage of media files to playback etc.). It would be always connected but only written to occasionally. So it's not the main OS drive and it wouldn't have programs installed on it.

I know about the limited number of writes but it would only be written to occasionally. But would the stored data dissipate over time? I read not to use a usb flash drive for backup etc. because the data which is storaged electricty can dissipate. Does leaving it plugged in and powered everyday prevent this?

Or has anyone used a flash drive like this with no problems like corrupted file etc?

I use a 128GB flash drive in this manner with no problems. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks, so did you put a file on there and then play it back years later with no problems?

Its an expensive way to add storage.

Get an internal or external HGST hard drive (HGST have been demonstrated to be the most reliable mfr by Backblaze).
If your machine is left on a lot and you want immediate availability (no spin up time), get the NAS version and turn power saving off.
This is what I have done with a HGST 4TB NAS drive.
NAS drives are designed to be left running permanently.

Its an expensive way to add storage.

Get an internal or external HGST hard drive (HGST have been demonstrated to be the most reliable mfr by Backblaze).
If your machine is left on a lot and you want immediate availability (no spin up time), get the NAS version and turn power saving off.
This is what I have done with an internal HGST 4TB NAS drive.
NAS drives are designed to be left running permanently.

ps the new MegaScale DC 4000.B drive is a bit slower and is only rated for 180TB per year.
It is a new class of drives termed Cold Storage and costs a tiny bit less.
I recommend paying the extra and getting a 7200rpm version, it is faster and not restricted in its use.
Unless you need the lower power use/temps.

Last edited:
OP, I use a USB thumbdrive at work to save documents to. Since it's just for dealing with documents, I do not need insane read/write speeds. I do this so that if the computer fails, I have this stuff removable and can get up and running on a spare computer quickly.

So yes, I keep it plugged in all the time and it's been like this for 2 years now.

Back