• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Adding thermal paste to thermal pads??

him reseating it and then replacing the pads and adding pads to the back probably did more than just the added paste.
 
Apparently someone did this and temps drop

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/1138...0-gddr6x-temperatures-by-up-to-15c/index.html

Can anyone confirm this?
If you have two different thermal materials, it'll only perform as good as the worst material. Just like a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Most likely as pendragon1 said, the replacing and reseating is what made it better.

For those that don't know, yet, OEM thermal paste and pads (and now putty), is always worse than premium stuff you can buy and apply yourself. I used to always replace TIM and thermal pads, but now I'm lazier with gear (sometimes) than I used to be. Plus, the premium stuff is a lot more expensive now.
 
If you have two different thermal materials, it'll only perform as good as the worst material. Just like a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Most likely as pendragon1 said, the replacing and reseating is what made it better.

For those that don't know, yet, OEM thermal paste and pads (and now putty), is always worse than premium stuff you can buy and apply yourself. I used to always replace TIM and thermal pads, but now I'm lazier with gear (sometimes) than I used to be. Plus, the premium stuff is a lot more expensive now.

hillary-clinton-wow.gif
 
If you have two different thermal materials, it'll only perform as good as the worst material. Just like a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Most likely as pendragon1 said, the replacing and reseating is what made it better.

For those that don't know, yet, OEM thermal paste and pads (and now putty), is always worse than premium stuff you can buy and apply yourself. I used to always replace TIM and thermal pads, but now I'm lazier with gear (sometimes) than I used to be. Plus, the premium stuff is a lot more expensive now.
Not always, some companies have started using better stuff. Two that I've experienced personally:

1) Alienware laptops and their "Element 31" paste. Seems to be real good paste, on par with the best commercial stuff.

2) ASUS GPUs are using PTM7950, at least my 5090 is.

I think it is getting a little more common on enthusiast parts, since they are so power hungry. Also my understanding is that PTM7950 is particularly targeted at mass manufacturing as it is easy to apply in that setup so it gives good performance without requiring expensive changes.
 
Back
Top