• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Adding speakers to my Klipsch 2.1 setup?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
9,776
Alright, I browsed through the FAQ thread and couldn't find an answer to please me so I am creating a thread to ask you gurus of all that is audible.

I have a klipsch 2.1 speaker setup. The two satellites are connected via speaker wire to the back of the subwoofer. The back of the sub only has connections to hook up two satellites.

I have come across some nice large 3" speakers (dunno any specs) that I would love to hook up to see how they sound.

My question is, is there any problem with hooking up two speakers to one channel on the back of the sub?

Thanks in advance!
 
Yes, there is a problem with hooking two speakers into one output. The amp is designed to drive the speakers that it came with. Hooking up another speaker will add to the impedence, and it could lead to the amp overheating and shutting off, or even worse, failing.
 
What soundcard do you have? I just turned my Klipsch 2.1 system into a 5.2 system the other day. I have an X-Fi sound card and there are three outputs for analog speakers. Front/Center/Rear. Klipsch 2.1 goes into the front channel, I use HDTV speaker for center channel and Monsoon Planar speakers for rear channel. This effectively gives me a 5.2 system. Five speakers and two subs.

Just buy another set of *powered* 2.0 speakers and hook them to your rear channel output on the soundcard. Make sure the speakers come with long cables or else you will have to buy an extension cable, like I had to do. Most likely you will have to buy an extension as computer speakers desgned as front channels never come with long enough cables for rear channels.
 
I too have the X-fi sound card, but I do not have a second receiver to use these extra speakers on.. :\
 
Yea, you need to buy powered speakers. Don't hook four speakers to a two channel amp as it really screws up the load on the amp.
 
Back
Top