Adding RAM to my existing quad channel system.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi all,
I am running a 5930K processor on a X99 motherboard.

Currently I have 4x4GB Corsair LPX 2800MHz memory for a total of 16GB.
I would like to upgrade to 32GB.

Is it safe to buy another 4 sticks and pair them with the existing 4 sticks?
Will they have compatiblity issues or frequency issues?

My CPU memory controller is pretty weak so I need to set my RAM at 2666MHz CAS15 to be stable.
Will I ruin stability by adding another 4 sticks?

If you add another 4 sticks is that all of your ram slots filled ?

If so, then you would be better off buying 4x8gig sticks instead of adding another 4 sticks for a total of 8 ram sticks as it would be better for the memory controller on the cpu to run with just 4.

If you add another 4 sticks is that all of your ram slots filled ?

If so, then you would be better off buying 4x8gig sticks instead of adding another 4 sticks for a total of 8 ram sticks as it would be better for the memory controller on the cpu to run with just 4.

I know it but it is double the price and I will throw out four sticks,
if my system could work ok with 8 sticks it will be cheaper, if it works why not save some money.

A system with all slots filled looks even better :)
X99 platform has 8 slot for RAM, I'm using 4 currently.

Hi all,
I am running a 5930K processor on a X99 motherboard.

Currently I have 4x4GB Corsair LPX 2800MHz memory for a total of 16GB.
I would like to upgrade to 32GB.

Is it safe to buy another 4 sticks and pair them with the existing 4 sticks?
Will they have compatiblity issues or frequency issues?

My CPU memory controller is pretty weak so I need to set my RAM at 2666MHz CAS15 to be stable.
Will I ruin stability by adding another 4 sticks?

Sometimes is not the Memory controller at all but the RAM as itself.. I have found several kits through a cherry picking and even 6 or 7 matched sets all performed different.. that's a thing to have as consideration, but with everything else you will be fine.. matching sets of RAM its always recommended but I had mixed even different manufacturer modules (but with the same JEDEC spec) and they just worked fine no issues, sometimes the problem with RAM is due to some XMP profiles, I remember suffering from some let say "issues" with 2 different kits on my 4930K using a kit that was XMP 1.2 and the other was XMP 1.3, both at XMP had the same settings but everything else in the SPD tables and JEDEC certifications were different so I was unable to overclock and just had to use that RAM at stock settings.. but aside on that everything was smooth and good.

I know it but it is double the price and I will throw out four sticks,
if my system could work ok with 8 sticks it will be cheaper, if it works why not save some money.

A system with all slots filled looks even better :)
X99 platform has 8 slot for RAM, I'm using 4 currently.

You will be absolutely fine.. and absolutely yes, all 8 slots looks awesome.

Sometimes is not the Memory controller at all but the RAM as itself.. I have found several kits through a cherry picking and even 6 or 7 matched sets all performed different.. that's a thing to have as consideration, but with everything else you will be fine.. matching sets of RAM its always recommended but I had mixed even different manufacturer modules (but with the same JEDEC spec) and they just worked fine no issues, sometimes the problem with RAM is due to some XMP profiles, I remember suffering from some let say "issues" with 2 different kits on my 4930K using a kit that was XMP 1.2 and the other was XMP 1.3, both at XMP had the same settings but everything else in the SPD tables and JEDEC certifications were different so I was unable to overclock and just had to use that RAM at stock settings.. but aside on that everything was smooth and good.

You will be absolutely fine.. and absolutely yes, all 8 slots looks awesome.

Ok. I will try to buy another 4 sticks kit and see if they will run fine with my current kit.

Back