Adding laptop to network

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
I have been appointed IT guy for our small real estate firm. With little networking experience I am having trouble adding the bosses laptop to our small network.

Few things:
I have access to the server. I can create accounts. I know how to map network drives. Add printers etc.

All computers in our office run XP. We have Windows 2003 server.

Bosses new laptop is Windows 8.

I've added/established wireless router and have connected it to laptop. I want to be able to connect to the servers wirelessly and possibly print wirelessly (we dont have a wireless copier).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Active Directory or Peer-to-Peer?

Im guessing active directory.

We have a separate server computer I use to add more individuals to our network when I add more work stations. Central location where information is stored.

If you're trying to add it to AD then he needs win8 pro, regular win8 won't connect to an AD

If you're trying to add it to AD then he needs win8 pro, regular win8 won't connect to an AD

f***

just bought a new laptop with windows 8 (basic)

is there a way to upgrade to pro for a small additional fee rather than buy the whole new one?

f***

just bought a new laptop with windows 8 (basic)

is there a way to upgrade to pro for a small additional fee rather than buy the whole new one?

Yes buy Windows 8 Pro "upgrade" instead of "retail"

There's no basic on TechNet so I can't double check but I'm fairly sure that if you go to system properties (where you activate or change machine name) there's a link there to upgrade your version of windows to pro or pro + MC for a nominal* fee.

*your version of nominal may not agree with MS's version of nominal

I would verify you even have Active Directory ... Check the TCP/IP configurations on one of current desktops and let us know what your DNS server is. Doing a IPCONFIG /ALL from a command line and pasting it here would help.

I just want to say...Welcome to the on the spot sysadmin training course. The absolute best experience tool there is imo. :)

Back