Adding HWIC to Slot 1 of Cisco 1841

I'm trying to learn a little about Cisco router setup, since I'm fairly well versed in configuration. I have an 1841 w/ K9 that I'd like to set up as a WAN Router to hot swap if one of ours goes down. I installed a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 MultiFlex card in Slot 1 of the router.

Currently, if I run a "show diag", the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 shows up in Slot 1 but in the configuration I can't see it or configure it. Am I missing an enable or something? I thought I had to declare card type but I can only do that on the existing card, the router doesn't seem to recognize that the card is there in any place other than "show diag".

Any guidance for this noob would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do a "sho inv" on the router and post the details about the card. Also, your IOS version needs to be at a minimum 12.3(14)T.

Meanwhile, throw this in your running config and see if this will reconize the card:
card type t1 0 1 (assuming you're correct in saying its slot 1 and not the first slot, which would be slot 0)

Post back what's going on.

Last edited:
Okay, "sho inv" give the response below:

NAME: "1841 chassis", DESCR: "1841 chassis, Hw Serial#: 178530XXXX, Hw Revision: 7.0"
PID: CISCO1841 , VID: V05 , SN: FHK124XXXX

NAME: "C1841 Motherboard with 2 Fast Ethernet", DESCR: "C1841 Motherboard with 2 Fast Ethernet"
PID: CISCO1841 , VID: 7.0, SN: FHK1243XXXX

NAME: "WIC/HWIC 0", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional (V2)"
PID: , VID: 1.2, SN: FOC1238XXXX

NAME: "WIC/HWIC 1", DESCR: "VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 - 1-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1"
PID: VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 , VID: V01 , SN: FOC1542XXXX

If I enter "card type t1 0 1" there is no output, it moves to the next line as if it was successful.

IOS version is 12.4. It is driving me nuts because I know it must be some "Cisco 101" type issue that I'll kick myself for.

what version of 12.4? Maybe look at loading something like 12.4(15)XY. I recall that was a pretty good one. Don't downgrade if you're at something higher. I know your router can physically see the card, but I've used these before in 1841s and they worked fine. I do think though I had to upgrade IOS even though I was in the 12.4 train.

12.4(3i), Release fc2 is currently running. I'm looking for a newer iOS to download as we speak.

It should just automatically show up in the "show run" after isntalling/running "card type", right?

Last edited:
I found the issue. Some idiot (me) never ran "channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24" on the new interface...

Thanks for the help Corge, I knew it was something silly.

Back