Adding extra COM ports through PCI slot

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Well I'm looking at PCI cards that add extra COM ports to my system so I can configure my Cisco routers and switches and I'm shocked as to why these things are so freakin' expensive for what they are? Nobody really uses COM ports as much as they did in the past and a PCI board that provides two extra COM ports is like $50-60 even on eBay!!! Why so much?

I understand I can telnet into the routers, but on initial configuration, nothing is set yet and I don't want to reach over and switch console cables from router to router. I would have bought one if they were like $10-20 each but I'm not spending anymore than that.

AH? Because I didn't know they made such a device! Hence why I am asking here! Thanks for the idea.

Oh yes, and Serial would be the better term. Sorry.

I looked around online for "USB to Serial" and it seems they are still around $17-25 before shipping. I did a search at Best Buy and its $35 before taxes and such. I was hoping to find something with at least 3 serials on one PCI board for under $20. Oh well so much for that...

Oh, I was reading around and saw this term. I see how wonderful it is. Unfortunately its beyond what I need although it can't hurt to have it in the future. But its damn well over my budget :(

they cost so much because no one uses them, on the other hand... why so many serial ports ???

Just use the one that most motherboards have, configure your cisco gear with telnet access and then use telnet to access all of them at once

zrac said:
Just use the one that most motherboards have, configure your cisco gear with telnet access and then use telnet to access all of them at once
Cause of this:
MooCow said:
I understand I can telnet into the routers, but on initial configuration, nothing is set yet and I don't want to reach over and switch console cables from router to router.

Back