• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

adding drives to a already running vsphere

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
1,295
Ok so sorry this will be long.. :D

I had a optiplex gx620 laying around..
p4 2.8
160gb sata drive
2gb ram

installed esx4i on it and ran good.... during my playing around I decided to use a bigger box...

I already had a hp professional workstation xw8200 being used for my home automation but is overkill...

2x xeon 3.2
5gb ram (6x512 and 2x1gb) pc2-3200
160gb ide
100gb ide
500gb sata
1tb sata

I ended up moving the 1tb to the gx620 and installing windows home server and my home automation over there... that is running great....

now I unplugged the ide drives... installed esx4i on the 500gb sata... had some errors but got it going..

it is currently running great.. but im wondering if I can just plugin those 2 ide drives and if esx4i would recognize them? if not no biggie... I do have a 160gb sata drive laying around I would like to put in...

do I just plug the sata drive in?... then what to get esx4i to see it?

my 500gb is almost full (vm's and ISO's) so I would like to add the 160gb (or 80gb i have too) and just move all my iso's to it...

I love the datastore browser and keep my iso files there... really helps out installing the OS on the vm's...

Thanks..
 
IDE is absolutely not supported, won't work right if at all (VMFS requires SCSI, or SATA pseudo-scsi). You'll have to add the sata drive as an extent if you want to0 make your one datastore bigger, or just make it's own datastore.
 
IDE is absolutely not supported, won't work right if at all (VMFS requires SCSI, or SATA pseudo-scsi). You'll have to add the sata drive as an extent if you want to0 make your one datastore bigger, or just make it's own datastore.

thanks.... so if i just plugged in a second sata drive... would it automatically detect it? there are 2 sata ports to which could be tied together in a raid 0 or 1... thus I believe they are part of the same controller.... so im hoping a simple plug and viola new datastore.....
 
Back
Top