Adding Domain Controller to Win2k domain

Mmats

n00b
I want to add a domain controller to an existing domain but I noticed dcpromo says it will delete all local user accounts. What will happen to applications that startup using the LocalSystem account?

Mmats said:
I want to add a domain controller to an existing domain but I noticed dcpromo says it will delete all local user accounts. What will happen to applications that startup using the LocalSystem account?

User accounts, not sytem accounts. You're fine dude. :)

Ah gotcha, and what about the IIS accounts with prefixes "IUSR_" and "IWAM_"? I guess I have to go through the IIS settings and set it to use different accounts?

Be careful with IIS and dcpromo. The dcpromo will in effect translate (or attempt to anyway) the local IIS users and groups into domain wide users and groups. However, if you ever dcpromo a server "down" you can find yourself with some unexpected results. Best to compare before and after and just expect that it won't be seamless.

Mmats said:
Ah gotcha, and what about the IIS accounts with prefixes "IUSR_" and "IWAM_"? I guess I have to go through the IIS settings and set it to use different accounts?

I'm thinking that the accounts will migrate, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Are you applying permissions or doing anything weird with IIS? I wouldn't sweat it if you're not.

feigned said:
I'm thinking that the accounts will migrate, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Are you applying permissions or doing anything weird with IIS? I wouldn't sweat it if you're not.

Well the machine in question is running iis services for the internal lan, its a web server with a few virtual directories that have permissions that arent default.

Mmats said:
Well the machine in question is running iis services for the internal lan, its a web server with a few virtual directories that have permissions that arent default.

Well, document the changes and backup everything before touching on dcpromo. You never know what can go wrong.

Back