Adding arctic silver 5 to my videocard?

GMcDougal

Gawd
ive got an msi 9800 pro,the one with the big heatsink.i can currently overclock the core to 430,and the mem to 365,no artifacts.if i remove it and add arctic silver 5 to the core and mem,would i be able to overclock it more?if not more,would i run the card cooler?is it worth going through this with a stock heatsink.any idea or opinions is wanted.

This is standard procedure for me always. :) But to be truthful, I doubt you'll gain a whole lot. It depends on a few things...like was the cooler making the right contact before? etc. If you're pulling that much already, if I were you, I'd be happy with 2-3 extra mhz. Of course mileage can vary...but I gained about 3-4 mhz on my videocard when I scraped off the gunk and put Arctic Ceramique under it. :)

Dont bother. I had the same idea with my XT PE. it will lower the core temp by 1or 2 degrees. But you will not be able to overclock any higher. 3to4 ghz is not going to make a difference. If you want to overclock further get a new cooling solution for the card and try one of the many mods floating around.

GMcDougal said:
ive got an msi 9800 pro,the one with the big heatsink.i can currently overclock the core to 430,and the mem to 365,no artifacts.if i remove it and add arctic silver 5 to the core and mem,would i be able to overclock it more?if not more,would i run the card cooler?is it worth going through this with a stock heatsink.any idea or opinions is wanted.

AS5 normally takes 200 hr to brake up particles. Also you need to heat it & cool it simultaneously. Once the particles are broken, temp. drops & then u'll be able to overclock more if previously overclocking was prevented for heat.

Back