Adding an SSD: Working around case limitations

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
I have a Silverstone FT03 case. SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- FT03

I have a motherboard that can easily handle adding more SSDs. An Asus® Maximus VI Gene z87. This machine was built in late 2013.

The case only has one native 2.5 slot as is and it's already being used.

Long/short: I need to work with what I've got.

1.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O510FW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5MX45VH1BGD3

a 3.5 to 2.5 bay adapter even from Silverstone to match the case. I can probably do this. Working with the case is kind of a PITA but it's do-able.

or

2.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLAZODE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I had no idea there was a such thing a USB to 3.5 or 2.5 adapter. That seems clean and neat on paper. I like this concept on paper but I'd like to know more about it, pros and cons.

I just discovered that concept this morning and I know little about it like "how much of a performance loss do you take here" and "how reliable is this concept?" and so forth.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking at the case pictures it seems like there is plenty of space to mount another SSD next to the existing mount - have you considered something like some velcro adhesive tape? a strip or two on the bottom of the drive and the case?

Or if you want to keep it kludge free that bay adapter would let you mount both drives together to make the power cabling a bit easier.

I'd avoid the USB adapter if it's going to be an internal drive full time.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I have used double sided tape for years now to mount SSDs where I "did not have room" as the case was designed.

like this
If you don't move your case around, just lay it down on the bottom of the case. And don't plug a SSD into your USB. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a SSD right?

like this
Back