Adding an SSD to a laptop?

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
I have a Fujitsu AH550, and it has a DVD drive, which i really dont use that often. I read some guides where it is possible to swap the DVD drive for an SSD. I think that would really boost my overall Windows experience. The problem is, SSDs are really expensive, so i would probably only get a 30gb one. That would be good for about Windows 7. Then all my music, movies, docs, programs, and games can be installed onto the 2.5" HDD.
My question is, would it be worth it? Would the performance boost be worth the $100, plus an either converting my dvd drive to an internal or getting an external?
How well would my laptop perform if I were to install all the programs and games on separate HDDs?

Opps, i donno why i put it in the audio. Must have thought i put it in the Mobile Computing section.
Mod, please move.

Still hasn't been moved, eh? From my experience; I built my brother a computer with a Phenom II X2 and a Caviar Black 640gb, I have a Phenom II X3 with a OCZ Agility 60gb. From using his computer to using mine is night and day, Windows is very snappy on the SSD. I have all my big programs, games, music on my Caviar Black and notice the lag when the HDD is being accessed. I think it is worth it, it should also extend your battery life.

I picked up about 40 min extra run time on my laptop T410 using an intel x-25 80 gb and the speed and quickness that it oprates on is a very nice improvment over the hdd. Just don't expect any outrageous benchmarks since laptops are a bit more conservative on their controllers.

Raychem, are you using both HDD and SSD at the same time?
Which SSDs do you recommend for a laptop?

Back