adding a sub to swans m200

kamal007

[H]ard|Gawd
im using an xfi extreme music and wondering could i add a subwoofer to my current setup?
im using a pair of swans m200 speakers

and if its doable, which kind of subwoofer will you recommend me..probably ones around $100-$150...the cheaper the better.

You can -from the point that your card has the output for it. Although usually a 2.1 configuration doesn't have a dedicated sub woofer input. What I am saying is most 2.1 systems I have seen get the bass signal from filtering it through the left and right signal using a crossover. You may NOT be able to get a signal to you sub from that card..
Others can possibly add to this information.

You can do it with a mini-jack splitter (a 1/8" stereo Y cable), sending the audio to both your swans and a sub, using the crossover built into the sub to adjust such.

Many here will probably recommend a Dayton sub off of www.partsexpress.com

What you may have to do is connect the sub in-line with the Left and right out and then connect the swanns to the sub. This way the sub just gets it;s bass signal directly from the L&R signal. In 2 channel mode your soundcard most likely will NOT output a dedicated bass signal such as in a 5.1 configuration. Given this fact you will need to get the signal from the main L&R signals...atleast this is how I understand the setup.

You may NOT be able to get a signal to you sub from that card..
You can in fact get a "sub channel" from that card in two speaker mode.

In 2 channel mode your soundcard most likely will NOT output a dedicated bass signal such as in a 5.1 configuration

creative cards do not encode multi channel audio at all. they are able to pass DD and DTS through but that .1 will never come out of the card on its own.

You can in fact get a "sub channel" from that card in two speaker mode.

i know creative drivers have a "creat LFE channel" option. you are able to select the the cross over point but it is done in software and in my opinion, not well. even in games the sub output does not have a signal unless you create it in the drivers. KXdriver will also do the same but thats a whole other fish to fry. like illgiveumorality said the "Y" splitter will carry that created channel to the sub leaving the fronts alone.

the image above is a good example, you getting it. that allows the sub to use what it wants and send the signal along to your swans.

I said to hell with Creative. The sub out would not work with my gaming rig but when I installed it on my other crappy PC it did. I tried a reformat etc but it just didn't like the mobo or something.

So I sold my X-Fi Elite Pro. Got a Panasonic XR-57 Receiver which has both 6 channel analogue from my onboard MSI SLI Plat. for games or it has a good DAC via the optical out on my onboard sound. I added a 5.1 stereo to it from All Room which is a small surround setup with a 6.5 inch sub.

Ok so long story short it sounds just as good as the elite for music but I can only use EAX for games but now I have a real sub out at least. I would get a decent 8" sub from av123 to go with the Swans. Anything more would drown out the Swans.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=subwoofers&brand=57

@Mister X, I wasn't sure this is why I mentioned it hoping somebody would clarify either way.

@Tangent inc., you misunderstand the meaning of that. What I meant is some soundcards when set for plain stereo will NOT send out a sub signal. This has little to do with encoding or pass through etc...it has to do with the way the drivers are set up. It has been clarified anyway that you can get a Bass signal from this card in 2.0 mode. so it is all good.

i apologize... i was not correcting, just expanding on what you said and applying it to his situation (having a creative card) then pointing out how to go about doing so.

Back