Adding a secondary HDD w/windows installation then deleting windows

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
This one is probably going to cost me some [H] points...

I'm building a new system and I'm doing a fresh Win7 install on a SSD. My old Win7 drive is a 750gig WD black that has all of my data backed up (in folders on the rood, not in any user accounts). I was going to transfer the data to an external, wipe the 750 and then transfer the data back to it. Then I thought, why can't I just plug it in as a secondary drive and delete windows? Problem is I can't find the steps to do this all my google searches just list how to delete the drive/reformat etc.

Can anyone save me the ~10 hours it would take to transfer the data from HDD>External>HDD?

Unplug the 750Gb and plug the new ssd, install windows clean on ssd, then reconnect the 750 and make sure bios boots first from ssd?

^^

What he said.

After you install Windows on the SSD, you'll have a choice of two versions to boot from. Just choose the one on the SSD, boot into Windows, cut and paste the folders, and then format the 750GB.

^^

What he said.

After you install Windows on the SSD, you'll have a choice of two versions to boot from. Just choose the one on the SSD, boot into Windows, cut and paste the folders, and then format the 750GB.

If I just kill the windows dir, and the boot.ini on the second drive will it get rid of the OS choice at bootup? I had some hardware issues and just got windows installed on the ssd last night.

Back