• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Adding a PCIe in a Asus Mobo

Aren't there expanders that do not need a PCIe connection just power?

The HP SAS Expander I think can, but you need room to put it somewhere though, maybe a new mobo as Blue Fox suggested would be the way to go.
 
that card is for 2U rack cases and not standard cases. In theory it should work fine, but I agree, just get a board with more PCI-e slots.
 
Aren't there expanders that do not need a PCIe connection just power?

The intel has a molex connector for power and can do that. You also have another option, the HP just needs power from the PCIe slot. You can use a 1x to 8x extension cable to pull power from a 1 lane slot, I am doing this in a Fractal XL case which has an additional slot available, 90 degrees rotated from the board.
 
Unless this is being done just for fun, I also suggest you get a new motherboard. Decent AM3 (or even AM3+) motherboards can be had for under $100 that do have more PCIe options. I don't know if you need microATX form factor, but it sounds like you have the room for a full ATX board.
 
I am extending my back-up server and will be using the Norco 4224, currently i have only the controller installed.

I will upgrade the mobo to a new one, will this one work ok:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-M4N75TD-Socket-nForce-Motherboard/dp/B003DVZZLM
Can you suggest a better one maybe.

I know it'll work, but I am uncertain about is will it work ok headless with WHS v1 without graphics?

My day to day NAS is using Unix and I have been backing up using WHS without problems.

Many thanks for you help
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top