Adding a new switch

alexbryant75

Weaksauce
Hey Everyone,

I am usually the server, domain, virtualization person, however I need to add a new switch to a lab. It's a catalyst 3750 and there is an existing cisco switch in place.
I simply just need to add some more ports to the existing subnet.

What I have done is setup Vlan 1 to have an IP in the existing subnet and set the default gateway the same as the existing switch. To be honest with you I'm not sure what to do next. Please help! I'm capable of figuring things out this is just normally not my area.

Thanks!

How is the existing switch setup? A sanitised show running-config of the original switch posted here would help greatly.

I'm working on getting one..
I work in a classified environment.
Will post as soon as I get it cleared.

Assuming that these are factory default switches, meaning no old config on them that's pretty much all you need to do.

By default every port is active and every port is in VLAN 1 and every port will dynamically negotiate a trunk if need be and every port runs spanning-tree. The switch allows telnet by default as well.

So If both switches are fresh out of the box and you don't need any special setup then assigning an IP to the VLAN 1 interface and setting the default gateway is all you would need to do to remotely manage it with telnet. You wouldn't have to do ANYTHING for traffic to pass over VLAN1.

But unless we know the running config / setup of the pre-existing switch (and also if this new switch has a pre-existing config) we can't make any determination as to what you need to do next.

in general, you probably don't need an IP on the new switch. more than likely you just need to connect the 2 switches together via a VLAN trunk, and create the VLANs on the new switch that are used on the current switch. Then assign the proper VLANs to the interfaces that connect to the hosts

berky,

This sounded like what I need to do.

I apologize I haven't gotten a running-config of the existing switch yet. I'm still waiting on it myself.
Normally it takes about 10 minutes to gain access to something like this..
Not this time...

The joys of working in a classified environment.

it seems to me that the person who should be able to clear that information would probably also be able to help you with your problem...

this chain of tech support help for a classified environment puzzles me...

goodcooper

Sometimes it doesn't make since..
The lab is mine (I'm sr. virtualization lead)

So.. since the lab is mine i'm responsible for the network, however if I want access to the switch that serves as the gateway for my lab I need cleared access to get to it..
Most of the times I get access in 10 minutes... Sometimes though. It will take days or weeks.. .

Back