Adding a 2nd GPU and don't know where to put Creative ZxR (getting muffled sound)

M_S_F

n00b
Hi, I have a Asus Z87-Pro motherboard with a 980 SC in the 1st PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot, and a Creative ZxR card in the 3rd PCI-e x1 slot. Works great.

I want to add a 2nd GPU so I tried moving the ZxR to the 1st PCI-e x1 slot and also tried the very last slot on the motherboard, the PCI-e 2.0 x16 (x4 mode) slot.

Both times the sound wasn't right. It's easiest to tell when the bass is supposed to hit and it sounds muffled. It sounds like I'm trying to drive a good pair of speakers with an amp that's not powerful enough.

Do I need to change lane settings in my bios or something? I'm not sure what to do, any guidance would be very appreciated.

What you described is not something that would be caused by switching PCI-E slots. It sounds like you had something setup like Bass Boost, EQ settings to ehnance bass, Crystalizer, or similar. When you changed slots, it probably re-installed the driver and set your settings back to default (turning off your EQ or similar).

Did you accidentally plug your speakers into the onboard audio? I've done that a couple times, even though I was just messing with the sound card.

What you described is not something that would be caused by switching PCI-E slots. It sounds like you had something setup like Bass Boost, EQ settings to ehnance bass, Crystalizer, or similar. When you changed slots, it probably re-installed the driver and set your settings back to default (turning off your EQ or similar).

When it's in the slot it's been and it's working I actually had all of the software EQ turned off, but this gave me an idea to check out the software settings when I plug it into another slot...not sure what it could be though.

Last edited:
Back