ADDING A 2nd card

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
hi I have a 2080ti xc evga gaming edition I want to add a 2nd evga 2080 ti xc but its not a gaming edition, only diff is the gaming edition has a clock speed at 1500 and the 2nd one's clock is 1700 is that ok ? or has to be identical?

SLI is a waste of money. Shit support on new cards and Whittier support when your cards are no longer the latest and greatest.

To answer the question, yes it'll be fine. The faster card will just likely downclock to the slower card.

Is SLI worth it? Absolutely not. But that's your choice/money.

It's worth it if you need the extra HP and the game your playing supports it.
Do a google search of games that support it and see if the ones you want to play are on it.

wow thank u guys u just saved me a ton I googled sli for x=plane 11 and no it does not support it, it says maybe 2 to 3 frames increase. I don't know I got to figure out whats going on I just got a new system with that video card, amd 2990, asus rog x399 board all the bells and whistles and yes I realize now I did my homework to late that I should of went with an intel for x plane. but my 10 year old system before this was running x plane with everything turned up at 30fps and now I cant get over 20 fps with everything at half settings. only difference is I got a 40 inch 4k running at like 3990 resolution but I tried lower ones and same thing. I been playing with all the settings just cant seem to do anything..... I would think I should be running more then that....

wow thank u guys u just saved me a ton I googled sli for x=plane 11 and no it does not support it, it says maybe 2 to 3 frames increase. I don't know I got to figure out whats going on I just got a new system with that video card, amd 2990, asus rog x399 board all the bells and whistles and yes I realize now I did my homework to late that I should of went with an intel for x plane. but my 10 year old system before this was running x plane with everything turned up at 30fps and now I cant get over 20 fps with everything at half settings. only difference is I got a 40 inch 4k running at like 3990 resolution but I tried lower ones and same thing. I been playing with all the settings just cant seem to do anything..... I would think I should be running more then that....

Run a benchmark like 3dmark and make sure your score makes sense.

You can also install a tool like Afterburner and see what your system is actually doing (does the GPU clock up more than 1700Mhz on the core, 100% usage, ect.)

Also you can run your 4k TV at 1920x1080 for more demanding games. I can barely tell the difference on mine (55” at 6ft.)

To answer the question, yes it'll be fine. The faster card will just likely downclock to the slower card.

Is SLI worth it? Absolutely not. But that's your choice/money.

Unlike with AMD cards which will happily support (what was formerly named) Crossfire within the same product family, nVidia SLI is very picky about the hardware match. It may work or it may not. Over time of watching threads in regard to SLI, I've seen people have the same 'card' but because there was a small difference between them SLI would fail.

Unlike with AMD cards which will happily support (what was formerly named) Crossfire within the same product family, nVidia SLI is very picky about the hardware match. It may work or it may not. Over time of watching threads in regard to SLI, I've seen people have the same 'card' but because there was a small difference between them SLI would fail.

SLI is slightly more picky but you can absolutely use two cards with different clock speeds as long as the GPU and memory configuration is the same. The biggest issue for both CF and SLI is lack of support.

As far as xplane is concerned, everything I've read about that game suggests the CPU is almost always the main bottleneck.

Ralphie, if X plane is so important you are willing to buy a 2nd 2080 Ti, I'd definitely go for a 2nd desktop with an Intel Core i7 8700k, 9700k, or even a 9900k. Those are by far the fastest choices for X Plane.

The game also scales well with fast low latency DDR4 when paired with the CPU's above.

Since you're running a 2990 - check out these videos from Level 1 Techs. The head guy over there talks about what the issue with running that many cores under Windows is - since according to their testing it doesn't happen under other OSs.

Sorry not 100% sure if these are the right videos since it was a while ago but it's on the Level 1 Techs channel.

Part 1

Part 2

Since you're running a 2990 - check out these videos from Level 1 Techs. The head guy over there talks about what the issue with running that many cores under Windows is - since according to their testing it doesn't happen under other OSs.

Sorry not 100% sure if these are the right videos since it was a while ago but it's on the Level 1 Techs channel.

Part 1

Part 2

So much this. The 2990WX is going to have issues in Windows in its current state. Hopefully Microsoft fixes the issue as we're most likely going to see more processors in the near future using a similar configuration.

ReaperX22 said it best that it's your choice and your money.

Will it work? It likely will as far as the hardware configuration and not counting game compatibility. Do I think it's a waste of money? Absolutely. That's coming from someone who had did SLI for three generations after having did Crossfire for one generation. It also sounds like the CPU may be your actual bottleneck.

I personally have never seen SLI as something worth seeings up. Only works part of the time and only benefits a few titles.

Back