Added new router and DNS is messed up. Help please.

BottomsUp

Gawd
I had a 2Wire router/model for my DSL running wireless and my local LAN. I added a Netgear Wireless N router and have one ethernet cable going from the 2Wire to the Netgear for uplink.

All PCs (hardwire) and wireless are using the NetGear. Wirless is disabled on the 2Wire.

The Netgear is picking up 192.168.1.80 as the "internet" address and the 2wire confirms this is the only IP address assigned.

All is well so far...

I also see my desktop (billkim-pc) on the Netgear as 172.16.0.2, however I can't telnet to it, remote desktop to it or anything.

When I run ipconfig on the desktop it tells me "billkim-pc"'s IP is 172.16.0.2

C:\Users\BillKim>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::990c:55a:4a79:b365%18
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1

However when I run nslookup I get this. The same thing happens from my Mac client. Note that it thinks the IP is a 192.168.x.x which is the subnet of the 2Wire machien it used to be on. It no longer is....

C:\Users\BillKim>nslookup billkim-pc
Server: UnKnown
Address: 172.16.0.1

Name: billkim-pc
Addresses: 192.168.1.77

I ran ipconfig /dnsflush on the desktop and the same on my remote clients. I can't connect via IP address from the remote machines either...

Any ideas?

Thanks

do you want the wireless to be the same network as everything else? it seems that you are plugging your netgear "WAN" port into the DSL router, which will create 2 separate networks. if you want the same network, disable dhcp/dns on the netgear and plug a "LAN" port from the netgear into the DSL router.

you might need to reboot your DSL router to clear out any cached information it has.

ok i fixed this via the PPPoE method, but boy was that a pain in the ass....more inside mostly because i don't know what i'm doing, but the AT&T issue 2wire router/modem I have has zero documentation on how to put it into bridge mode and pass the internet IP through. DMZ mode wouldn't work quite right and I ended up figuring it out from some guys random blog. It turns out there is an entirely separate , and more advanced, admin interface for the 2wire that is not documented and not the one you see when on the gateway landing page. I had to find that UI to disable some weird "ATM PVC" DSL settings in addition to disabling "router mode".

Anyway it works now...thanks for the help

The one problem i'm still having is that nslookukp now says "non-existent domain". After tons of googling it looks like my router (Netgear wndr3400) won't resolve the hostname to IP on the local LAN gateway despite the fact that if I look at the netgear admin interface I see the hostname and IP of the machine connected to the router. It must be cached in the routing tables, but it won't resolve. I don't want to put host file entires everywhere, but I think NetBIos might work. I have a mixed mac/windows network so i'll have to play with it more to sort that out.

Some Netgears have a feature called DNS Proxy. I find that sometimes this causes issues for some reason and usually end up turning it off.

It can usually be found under LAN Settings.

Back