• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Add second 5850 for Xfire for $200?

Kmical

Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
797
I have an opportunity to buy a 3-month old ASUS 5850 card for $200. It works fine.

My primary rig has a single 5850 in a Xfire-capable board. My secondary system (with the faster CPU) has a single 4890 in a Xfire-capable board. Power supplies are a Corsair 750W in the AMD system, and a Seventeam 850W in the Intel system.

I play games such as Company of Heroes, Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc ... but no first-person shooters. Running Windows 7 on both systems.

Do I

1) Save my money and be happy with what I have?
2) Replace (and sell) the 4890 and install the 5850?
3) Install both 5850's in the Intel system and move the 4890 to the AMD?
4) Have too much disposable income to spend on upgrades that gain me nothing?

Let me know what you guys think ...
 
Depends what resolution you're at. If you are 1920x1200 and below keep the single 5850.
If you running above that resolution, get the second 5850. If you don't buy it, send that card my way since I need another one.
 
well let me ask you this, do you plan on playing an gpu intensive games now or in the near future, or do you just have the upgrade bug?After buying 2x gtx 480 I am starting to regret it, as I haven't even tested them yet, and I would have went with an ati card and forgone the water cooling route completely had I seen some deals before I bought the cards. So much money ugh. I say save your dough unless this won't impact you financially in a big way and only if the xfire setup will be put to good use. Can't you xfire the 5850 and the card in your other rig? Do you need two powerful cards in each rig?
 
Depends what resolution you're at. If you are 1920x1200 and below keep the single 5850.
If you running above that resolution, get the second 5850. If you don't buy it, send that card my way since I need another one.

Running at 1920 x 1080 right now.

Caligulax said:
well let me ask you this, do you plan on playing an gpu intensive games now or in the near future, or do you just have the upgrade bug?After buying 2x gtx 480 I am starting to regret it, as I haven't even tested them yet, and I would have went with an ati card and forgone the water cooling route completely had I seen some deals before I bought the cards. So much money ugh. I say save your dough unless this won't impact you financially in a big way and only if the xfire setup will be put to good use. Can't you xfire the 5850 and the card in your other rig? Do you need two powerful cards in each rig?

Have another $200 courtesy of some dust-collecting computer and A/V stuff via craigslist. Maybe go with an SSD instead?
 
Running at 1920 x 1080 right now.

Then don't upgrade. I ran a single 5870 @ 2560x1600 with no problem, so a single 5850 is enough for 1920x1080, especially if you overclock it. If you decided to sell one of those cards, let me know.
Upgrading your HDD to an SSD would increase the performance of your whole system, not just games.
 
No doubt, let us know if you decide to sell the 4890 or the 5850. I have a 4890 right now and could x-fire my current config, or just replace the 4890 with a 5850.

Oh, and I vote for option 4. You have too much money to spend on upgrades. ;)
 
I play games such as Company of Heroes, Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc ... but no first-person shooters.

Wow. A 5850 playing those 5 year old games and no new FPS games?! You aren't even tapping the potential of a single 5850.

Definitely option #1 or # 4.
 
Wow. A 5850 playing those 5 year old games and no new FPS games?! You aren't even tapping the potential of a single 5850.

Definitely option #1 or # 4.

Yeah, well I went from a 512MB 4850 to the 5850. The 4850 was starting to struggle at 1920x1080 with AA. I thought about the 5770, but figured a jump to a 5850 would be good for at least a couple of years.

I'm looking at getting NFS:Shift. After playing the demo with the 4850, maybe I'll enjoy the full game on the 5850.

SSD it is, then ;)
 
5850 is a pretty good card for that resolution with a single monitor. If you ever plan to do eyefinity, having at least 2 cards is a most imo. Dual 5850s will also kill at that resolution. ;-) But it all depends on how much performance you want.
 
Back
Top