Add new Hardware without reinstalling Windows

Iconz

Gawd
I have XP Home Edition, and I'm planning on buying a new mobo, cpu, and vid card. How awful will it be if I swap out the hardware and try to let Windows figure it out...or am I just being lazy? One of my big concerns is iTunes, and it getting screwed up. Any thoughts?

Your being lazy. It might work and will probably run poorly, but its likely that it won't boot into windows successfully.

Depends... If the board is the same chipset (Nforce4 or whatever), it might work. Alot of times though, Windows will blue screen when loading if you have the wrong drivers installed with the wrong hardware. The CPU and video card aren't a huge issue (with the exception of going single to multi processors IMO), but the motherboard will be.

Sysprep

Make sure you read the instructions and research a bit before doing it. That is what I did going from my AMD 2400+ to a AMD64 3000+.

Thanks everyone. I think it might make sense to just backup my important files on a DVD and then read a little on swapping iTunes to a new comp without my iPod freaking out. I can't imagine going to a next gen system and have it run like crapola. I'll do it the right way, especially since its a new mobo and all. Any hints on getting iTunes to jive with a new OS and the XP registry? i.e. not think I'm stealing

LOL..to quote myself from another thread.
JRT said:
Best option..
E:\Format /Q C: ----> Reinstall a clean Windows.

No reason not to do a clean install, it isnt that hard or hard to recover from.

Dude the itunes thing isn't that bad. What you have to do is backup your music. Then deauthorize itunes, it is imperative you do this before you reformat. And then "authorize" the new install. Here is a link from Apple on how to do this: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/authorization/

To quote apple "Songs purchased on the iTunes Music Store can be copied to an unlimited number of computers. However, only five computers at a time can play your purchased music."

Hope this helps

You can always back up your data and then try Sysprep. If it works, great. If not, then you are still okay to clean format and re-install.

Back