• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Add memory reactivate Winblows????

Crosshairs said:
Im not in the computer business, but I dont envy you.....I bet thats a never ending task :)

Heh... It can be tough "educating" the client/customer about what they can and cannot do with the software according to the EULA. Unfortunately today's society is in a state where we assume we "own" everything we buy. The concept of a "usage" license is foreign to a majority of the clients I take on.

What usually convinces them to get legal is when I show them the fines other companies of similiar size have paid in the past for their transgressions. :D
 
Yeah, Piracy is not something that is Funny when you get caught...

This is a big company too..:)
 
arabdon1203 said:
Well, I don't really agree with what their eula considers piracy.
It is irrelavant what you think, it is what will hold up in prosecution. Companies can always purchase multiple user liscenses. For me the only time I have, had to re-activate is when I did a rebuild. It was nice and, easy for me when, I told them that lightning destroyed my old rig.
Before you all get pissed off at me. I hate the idea that XP is the only OS you have to activate to use. If it is to stop piracy then, all current versions or, new discs' put out for Win 2000, would logically have it as well. Granted I could purchase an old version from someone but, still if it was important it would seem to run across all available software.
 
From the absolute logical, culturally irrelevant and completely impractical viewpoint you're entirely correct.

In the real world a company wich did originally purchase software licenses but then upon a BSA audit is revealed to have an insufficient number of licenses would not be referred to as a "software pirate." Instead they would be in violation of their contract or licensee terms. Such a company most likely got in that situation not by deliberate malfeasance but instead through apathy and ignorance.

In most people's minds the term "software pirate" refers specifically to someone who is deliberately and knowningly copying and installing software with absolutely no intention to offer the creator of the software any monetary compensation whatsoever. They are in other words thieves.

Different words and fine grained terminology exists for a reason: To differentiate between various things without having to name the specifics of each given case. For example, a Malmute and Dalmation are both Dogs, yes. But if you're talking about a Malmute call it freaking Malmute, if you're talking about a Dalmation call it a Dalmation.

I agree with this guy. That's what I consider piracy. I don't really care what ms considers piracy.
 
Joves said:
I hate the idea that XP is the only OS you have to activate to use. If it is to stop piracy then, all current versions or, new discs' put out for Win 2000, would logically have it as well. Granted I could purchase an old version from someone but, still if it was important it would seem to run across all available software.

Add Server 2003 Standard Edition, Small Business Server 2003 Std & Premium, Vista. From XP on, product activation will be the norm.

arabdon1203 said:
I agree with this guy. That's what I consider piracy. I don't really care what ms considers piracy.

Then you also don't agree with the majority of software developers out there as well. :rolleyes:

Microsoft is not the only software vendor with the same / similiar EULAs nor are they only ones with product activation. In the end Joves summed things up nicely.

Joves said:
It is irrelavant what you think, it is what will hold up in prosecution. Companies can always purchase multiple user licenses.

So are you people going to continue incessantly arguing a point about piracy based on your opinion? :rolleyes:
 
arabdon1203 said:
Well, I don't really agree with what their eula considers piracy.
Then you should apply for a job in the Microsoft legal department and rewrite the EULA, because at this point, it isn't up to you to decide if it's legal or not.

Try a little experiment. Go to your local car dealership, break in, and steal a car. When you appear before the judge, tell him/her you don't agree with the law that says stealing is illegal. When you become the girlfriend of some trucker named Bubba, it will suddenly hit you that it's not your decision on what's legal or not.
 
All I'm stating is my opinion. You guys need to stop being thought nazi's. I don't think you should not be allowed to install software on multiple systems. I know that's not how it is. :rolleyes:
 
arabdon1203 said:
All I'm stating is my opinion. You guys need to stop being thought nazi's. I don't think you should not be allowed to install software on multiple systems. I know that's not how it is. :rolleyes:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. However, certain topics lend towards opinions, and certain do not. If we were discussing processors, video cards, etc....much of those debates revolve around opinions. Following a EULA is not a debate that opinions can enter. When you work in corporate IT or doing such consulting work, you'll have a different perspective on EULAs. You have to follow them, regardless of what you think of them. As it's been mentioned, if you really don't agree with the EULA, that's perfectly fine. Format the drive and install some flavor of Linux, and you can maintain your position. If you're using a version of Windows, that means you completely agree with the EULA. Anytime you install Windows, you are given that choice and completely free to choose agree or disagree.
 
arabdon1203 said:
All I'm stating is my opinion. You guys need to stop being thought nazi's. I don't think you should not be allowed to install software on multiple systems. I know that's not how it is. :rolleyes:

If you check back on page 2, you jumped on the bandwagon of whether MS product activation was a "solution" to software piracy *and* you proceeded to state my example was not considered "piracy" when in fact according to the terms of MS Eula, that was a prime example of piracy and how activation had prompted the client to purchase the appropriate licenses.

As djnes said, it's fine to state your opinion, however make sure you state so *early* in the converstation. ;)
 
SJConsultant said:
when in fact according to the terms of MS Eula, that was a prime example of piracy...
Without taking a stance on this particular issue, I'd like to point out that a EULA is, like any other contract, superceded by law and case precedent. It's quite possible for a publisher to put clauses into a EULA which are illegal, invalid, or unenforceable. That's the reason most EULA's (and contracts in general) include a separability clause.

So the EULA isn't always the "last word" on the subject.
 
Wow 4 years after XP's release and people are still whining about product activation, even my little sister has figured out how to bypass it
 
masher said:
Without taking a stance on this particular issue, I'd like to point out that a EULA is, like any other contract, superceded by law and case precedent. It's quite possible for a publisher to put clauses into a EULA which are illegal, invalid, or unenforceable. That's the reason most EULA's (and contracts in general) include a separability clause.

So the EULA isn't always the "last word" on the subject.

Which is perfectly fine, however to my knowledge MS EULA has yet to be challenged in court, thus until then, I'll follow it as it is.
 
SJConsultant said:
Which is perfectly fine, however to my knowledge MS EULA has yet to be challenged in court, thus until then, I'll follow it as it is.
Actually, parts have been challenged dozens of times, with varying degrees of success. For example, Caspi v. Microsoft, Microsoft v. Zamos, Hamilton v. Microsoft, Baker et. al. vs. Microsoft to cite just a few.
 
I had to reactivate for a BIOS update.

BIOS UPDATE!!!

Oh yes and I DID get very irate at this and cracked the product activation 30 seconds later. I would have left it in tact, but come on.... You need to update your BIOS once in a while. Oh and if you are wondering, I legally own XP Home, and I have a Universal MSDN subscription, so I do get my stuff legally. If I could start viable gaming on another OS, I would gladly do so and be free of these ridiculous schemes.
 
I figured out my memory problem last night and installed 2 more gigs and for some reason I wasn't asked to reactivate windows.
 
masher said:
Actually, parts have been challenged dozens of times, with varying degrees of success. For example, Caspi v. Microsoft, Microsoft v. Zamos, Hamilton v. Microsoft, Baker et. al. vs. Microsoft to cite just a few.

Do any of those parts have to do with piracy? If so, provide a link.

Shameless Liar said:
Oh yes and I DID get very irate at this and cracked the product activation 30 seconds later. I would have left it in tact, but come on.... You need to update your BIOS once in a while. Oh and if you are wondering, I legally own XP Home, and I have a Universal MSDN subscription, so I do get my stuff legally.

If you legally own the product then there is no need to "crack" product activation as you would have had no problem reactivating XP.

MSDN subscriptions for XP allow you to reactivate on the same machine *without* decreasing the total number of activations under an MSDN license. So even with an MSDN subscription there is no need to crack the activation as you wouldn't have any issues.
 
Shameless Liar said:
I had to reactivate for a BIOS update.

BIOS UPDATE!!!

Oh yes and I DID get very irate at this and cracked the product activation 30 seconds later. I would have left it in tact, but come on.... You need to update your BIOS once in a while. Oh and if you are wondering, I legally own XP Home, and I have a Universal MSDN subscription, so I do get my stuff legally. If I could start viable gaming on another OS, I would gladly do so and be free of these ridiculous schemes.

The ironic thing is I bet it took you longer to 'crack' it than it did to actually activate it.
 
SJConsultant said:
Do any of those parts have to do with piracy? If so, provide a link.



If you legally own the product then there is no need to "crack" product activation as you would have had no problem reactivating XP.

MSDN subscriptions for XP allow you to reactivate on the same machine *without* decreasing the total number of activations under an MSDN license. So even with an MSDN subscription there is no need to crack the activation as you wouldn't have any issues.


I thought with a MSDN subscription you recieved VLK software that dosent require activation ??? I maybe wrong..I cant afford to subscribe and find out..lolol..
 
nomak said:
I thought with a MSDN subscription you recieved VLK software that dosent require activation ??? I maybe wrong..I cant afford to subscribe and find out..lolol..

Some software is VLK, others require activation.

From MSDN FAQs:
Which Microsoft products will include Product Activation?

Product activation technology is included in several products, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Office System products
 
Back
Top