• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Add memory reactivate Winblows????

djnes said:
Seriously....aside from the fact that it takes 5 minutes or less to re-activate, it's not a hassle at all. It's Microsoft trying to protect their work....as others have mentioned, time is avaluable asset. Microsoft develoeprs put a lot of time into XP, so they have a right to protect it.
This stupid activation bullshit is about as effective as Sony's latest rootkitted CD's fiasco.

The only people who even noticed are the legitimate users who are constantly inconvenienced by the idiocy of the system, and the people sharing music and installing pirated copies of Windows XP Corporate that require no activation haven't even noticed.
 
I've helped about 40 people install retail copies of XP on systems that they've made countless upgrades to. Some have had to call back in to re-activate. Again, it only takes 5 minutes, so where's the hassle? Anytime I've called in, it's been someone very friendly and helpful, and the process was very smooth and easy. What's the big freakin' deal?
 
kumquat said:
This stupid activation bullshit is about as effective as Sony's latest rootkitted CD's fiasco.

The only people who even noticed are the legitimate users who are constantly inconvenienced by the idiocy of the system, and the people sharing music and installing pirated copies of Windows XP Corporate that require no activation haven't even noticed.

If you think you have a solution that will protect software developers work from piracy and easier for end users by all means enlighten us with your idea.

Otherwise your just whining like everyone else who may be temporarily inconvienenced by the activation process. :rolleyes:
 
djnes said:
Seriously....aside from the fact that it takes 5 minutes or less to re-activate, it's not a hassle at all. It's Microsoft trying to protect their work....as others have mentioned, time is avaluable asset. Microsoft develoeprs put a lot of time into XP, so they have a right to protect it.

If all you're going to do is bitch and whine about a simple process, and stoop to the childish levels of referring to it as Winblows (funny back in '98...not since though), then move your mouse cursor up to the top, under the Linux threads. Am I being an ass when I say this? Sure, but use a tiny little bit of common sense. Just a little bit. If you don't like how Coke tastes, are you still going to drink it? No...you go buy another brand. If you don't like Windows...use Linux and stop whining about people trying to protect their hard work.
Well said, djnes.
 
Step 1. Buy a legal version of WinXP.
Step 2. 'obtain' a version which doesn't require activation.
Step 3. Enjoy your hassle-free upgrading frenzy ^_^

Until companies make clear whether they've sold you a physical item (a CD) with no further strings attached (other than the usual copyright stuff), or a license to the software on that CD (which would require that company to get you another CD in case you lost yours), I can find no fault in the above procedure.
 
SJConsultant said:
If you think you have a solution that will protect software developers work from piracy and easier for end users by all means enlighten us with your idea.

Otherwise your just whining like everyone else who may be temporarily inconvienenced by the activation process. :rolleyes:
I wish I did... but I don't, and neither does Microsoft.
 
ChingChang said:
Blame people who pirate their software. Microsoft is only trying to prevent piracy. Having to call to get it activated isn't that big of an inconvience really.

Actually, imo, they make people go with pirated os's to avoid all this activation bullshit. If I were reading all this right now, and I had to buy a new copy of windows it would just push me to go pirated to give M$ the finger. They are just doing this for money so you buy a new $90 copy of windows for every machine. New $200 copy if you go retail for home, $400 if you go pro.
 
kumquat said:
I wish I did... but I don't, and neither does Microsoft.

Microsoft has a solution that works, albeit a few people may not agree with it, but I find the majority of people who complain either A. pirate the software themselves or B. just find something else to complain about Microsoft for the sake of complaining.

It's not like MS didn't do research to find out how people would react to activation. Besides that MS takes quite a bit of money and dontates to charities. People seem to think MS simply hordes all of their profits when they don't have the first clue about what it takes (financially) to run a business.
 
SJConsultant said:
People seem to think MS simply hordes all of their profits when they don't have the first clue about what it takes (financially) to run a business.
The first clue you're going to read a thread on someone complaining about Microsoft, without giving any thought from a business perspective, would be the noobish misspellings of "WinBlows", "M$", or "Microshaft".
 
kumquat said:
This stupid activation bullshit is about as effective as Sony's latest rootkitted CD's fiasco.

The only people who even noticed are the legitimate users who are constantly inconvenienced by the idiocy of the system, and the people sharing music and installing pirated copies of Windows XP Corporate that require no activation haven't even noticed.

No, actually it's much more effective. Can you take your XP CD to your friend's house and install a copy? Nope. Can you install it on two of your computers? No.

It's very effective. And it doesn't cause any negative side effects. Well, except multiple threads bitching about Windblowz and M$ iz t3h 4nt1-l33t sux0r0rz.
 
S1nF1xx said:
No, actually it's much more effective. Can you take your XP CD to your friend's house and install a copy?
YES....UMMMM...I mean ...No comment.....
S1nF1xx said:
Can you install it on two of your computers?
YES..UMMMM I mean...No comment....


kumquat said:
the people sharing music and installing pirated copies of Windows XP Corporate that require no activation haven't even noticed.

Very true.....
 
S1nF1xx said:
No, actually it's much more effective. Can you take your XP CD to your friend's house and install a copy? Nope. Can you install it on two of your computers? No.

It's very effective. And it doesn't cause any negative side effects. Well, except multiple threads bitching about Windblowz and M$ iz t3h 4nt1-l33t sux0r0rz.

Um, how long have you been into computers??? Not to be an a$$ or anything, but those that don't want to legitimately use it, have the knowledge to install it on anything they want, with little inconvienence.
 
If you guys think carrying out a discussion in the on-topic forums includes tossing out little funny pics to support your argument, you can take it to the general mayhem forum because that crap doesn't fly around here.
 
I guess it can just be summarized then, plainly and calmly. You have three options:

1) Accept and deal with the activation process with XP
2) Use Linux
3) Go buy a Mac
 
The only time it should be a huge PITA is if you're constantly swapping out hardware. When you buy a product with a lisence agreement, you buy the product with the intent of having to abide by the agreement, whether you do or not. When things like this come up and bug the crap out of you, you can either accept it, or rant, or not buy the product. It sucks that a company goes to such great lengths to protect propertary that is used illegally anyway. Honestly I don't think they'd lose sales either if it were any easier to obtain, like say win 98, because to the best of my knowledge, they make most of the money of OEM's that sell the software with a computer. I may be wrong on this.....

To get back a little more on topic, I've had to re-activate almost six times now I think, new mobo, new RAM, new vid card, adding 2 more hard drives, and going back to my old RAM for testing. I was never hassled about it, I just told them each time what I was doing, and they didn't question it, they only asked how many computers I was putting it on, and all I said was 1.
 
djnes said:
I guess it can just be summarized then, plainly and calmly. You have three options:

1) Accept and deal with the activation process with XP
2) Use Linux
3) Go buy a Mac

Very well put.....
 
It seems the more these contrived systems are pushed on the consumer the less effective they become. I am an honest man, but I see no qualms in using the product that I bought as I see fit within my personal sphere, Microsoft and Sony be damned.
 
SJConsultant said:
Microsoft has a solution that works
No, they don't. It hasn't stopped a single person from pirating Windows XP. Windows XP isos that don't require activation at all were all over the net before the OS was even officially launched. Like I said, the only people inconvenienced are the ones who legitimately own the software.
 
kumquat said:
No, they don't. It hasn't stopped a single person from pirating Windows XP. Windows XP isos that don't require activation at all were all over the net before the OS was even officially launched. Like I said, the only people inconvenienced are the ones who legitimately own the software.

Qft. If anything it pushed people to pirating instead of buying 5 copies for 5 diff computers
 
one day I oc'd my opteron from 250x10 -> 260x10 and i needed to reactivate windows within 3 days I thought it kind of funny but the tech didn't give me a hard time just asked once how many machines it was installed on and gave me my activation code w/in like 10 minutes.
 
I'm sorry if my atempt at humor with the misspelling of the word "Windows" strikes people as being a "noob" or as one who has illegally obtained my copies of Windows.

It was meant to be kind of a joke. Nothing more.

I'm not bothered by the fact Microsoft wants to protect their property or in the fact that I had to re-activate it. I'm more bothered by the fact that they asked me 4 times how many computers I was trying to install it on. And each time they asked the question the context of the question changed trying to get me to change my story. It felt as if they were trying to catch me in a lie. I've bought every copy of WIndows I've ever owned. In fact I have one copy of XP home for the computer I'm typing this on that I bought when I upgraded this machine and I have another copy that I bought when I built my gaming rig.

I'm bothered by the fact that I got the third degree on something as innocent as adding memory. I personally feel that any upgrades you do on your computer should not warrant the need to reactivate the OS. Especially since the HDDs and the Mobo had the same signature on their database as when I began.

I totally understand wanting to protect something. But making people jump through hoops is rediculous. Let me use the software I bought. If I build another machine (which I plan to) I will buy a new copy of the OS. I'm not bitching for the sake of having somethign to bitch about. I'm bitching because they were trying to force something that was not true.






And the charity you are talking about is the Gates Foundation, the money mainly goes to medical research for third world countries among other things.
 
kumquat said:
No, they don't. It hasn't stopped a single person from pirating Windows XP. Windows XP isos that don't require activation at all were all over the net before the OS was even officially launched. Like I said, the only people inconvenienced are the ones who legitimately own the software.

Wrong again. :rolleyes:

I have dealt with business clients who thought they could simply take software and install it on as many machines as they want. However with the product activation they know they can no longer do this and now they buy a legitimate license when needed.

Just because it may not stop everyone from piracy does not mean it does not work to some degree.
 
SJConsultant said:
Wrong again. :rolleyes:

I have dealt with business clients who thought they could simply take software and install it on as many machines as they want. However with the product activation they know they can no longer do this and now they buy a legitimate license when needed.

That isn't really pirating :rolleyes:
 
arabdon1203 said:
That isn't really pirating :rolleyes:

pirating isn't really pirating... Yar!
pirate.gif
 
arabdon1203 said:
That isn't really pirating :rolleyes:

I don't know what definition of piracy you people go by, but it is very obvious people have a skewed perception about software piracy and what is "legal" and what is not.

For those who lack "education" about piracy, check out the EULA for what is deemed legal and not legal for software use. Those terms dictate what is or is not considered piracy.

It's also obvious people here are going to disagree simply because they can't put up logical arguements. :rolleyes:
 
I upgraded the firmware on my dvd burner and had to reactivate ...yay


[H]
 
kumquat said:
No, they don't. It hasn't stopped a single person from pirating Windows XP. Windows XP isos that don't require activation at all were all over the net before the OS was even officially launched. Like I said, the only people inconvenienced are the ones who legitimately own the software.
The solution Microsoft came up with does work. It was designed to prevent people from installing one copy on every computer in their home. Not designed to prevent people from cracking their software. By inconveincing users who legitimately bought their software, it increases the chance they will buy another OS for their other computer, and not use the same/or illegal copy. I know tons of people who buy a new copy for each computer.
 
SJConsultant said:
I don't know what definition of piracy you people go by, but it is very obvious people have a skewed perception about software piracy and what is "legal" and what is not.

For those who lack "education" about piracy, check out the EULA for what is deemed legal and not legal for software use. Those terms dictate what is or is not considered piracy.

It's also obvious people here are going to disagree simply because they can't put up logical arguements. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't really agree with what their eula considers piracy.
 
What you feel is irrelevant when licensing and the law is concerned. Most kids who pirate Windows should be glad it's not as prosecuted as, say, the goofy RIAA is making it a habit of doing. Microsoft doesn't mind the extra presence in the market, but don't think for a second that what you aren't doing is cheating.
 
SJConsultant said:
I don't know what definition of piracy you people go by, but it is very obvious people have a skewed perception about software piracy and what is "legal" and what is not.

For those who lack "education" about piracy, check out the EULA for what is deemed legal and not legal for software use. Those terms dictate what is or is not considered piracy.

It's also obvious people here are going to disagree simply because they can't put up logical arguements. :rolleyes:

From the absolute logical, culturally irrelevant and completely impractical viewpoint you're entirely correct.

In the real world a company wich did originally purchase software licenses but then upon a BSA audit is revealed to have an insufficient number of licenses would not be referred to as a "software pirate." Instead they would be in violation of their contract or licensee terms. Such a company most likely got in that situation not by deliberate malfeasance but instead through apathy and ignorance.

In most people's minds the term "software pirate" refers specifically to someone who is deliberately and knowningly copying and installing software with absolutely no intention to offer the creator of the software any monetary compensation whatsoever. They are in other words thieves.

Different words and fine grained terminology exists for a reason: To differentiate between various things without having to name the specifics of each given case. For example, a Malmute and Dalmation are both Dogs, yes. But if you're talking about a Malmute call it freaking Malmute, if you're talking about a Dalmation call it a Dalmation.
 
Hvatum said:
From the absolute logical, culturally irrelevant and completely impractical viewpoint you're entirely correct.

In the real world a company wich did originally purchase software licenses but then upon a BSA audit is revealed to have an insufficient number of licenses would not be referred to as a "software pirate." Instead they would be in violation of their contract or licensee terms.

I guess you haven't been to the BSA's website lately since they deem company employees installing software on more than one computer as "piracy".

There are certain situations where "overuse" can occur such as a terminal services environment, but that is a special situation since the software is only installed on one system, centrally shared by many, and it usually requires "corporate" media which does not have activation to begin with which makes your point moot since we are talking about whether activation works in terms of preventing piracy. :rolleyes:

Point is simple. Activation is not a 100% solution, but there again, nothing ever is in today's world but it works for Microsoft since people or businesses now must purchase a copy for each computer they wish to install the software on.
 
SJConsultant said:
it works for Microsoft since people or businesses now must purchase a copy for each computer they wish to install the software on.

I had a hard time not spitting my coffee out.....Thanks for the laugh.......:)
 
SJConsultant said:
I keep my client's systems legal, do you? ;)


Im not in the computer business, but I dont envy you.....I bet thats a never ending task :)
 
Back
Top