Add in lenses made all the difference

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
This is going to come across as a bit 'ad' like so apologies, I also did do a quick search and couldn't see other threads or posts about it.

I bought my Vive about a month ago, had a few games of table tennis etc, played Dirt Rally, wowed my friends with some of the games but I had a major problem, yes the resolution is a bit cruddy and my room set up isn't ideal (4m*2m) but the real problem was eye strain and everything looked, well it looked a bit crap.

I wear glasses to read, sometimes. I might wear them once a week when I'm really tired, I don't wear them to drive and rarely wear them day to day.

I tried wearing my glasses with the Vive and it's both uncomfortable but also didn't make an appreciable difference. Anyway, given my generally poor experience I figured I'd throw a hail mary before I got rid of the Vive and bought some prescription add-in lenses.

Oh my god, night and day difference.
  1. the edge shimmering has all but gone
  2. Screen door effect has reduced
  3. the comfort factor has gone through the roof, I can actually relax into it now
  4. no eye strain, it's comfortable as anything now (eye wise, you've still got a hunk of sweaty plastic on your face)
Downside is they do seem to mist up a bit, I'll get my diving demister on them for that, and they're a bit of a pain to take out adhoc, so if you share the headset bear that in mind.

However in summary, definitely definitely definitely worth the extra money if you're having problems and wear glasses. Heck even if you don't, maybe get your eyes checked. I got my prescription rechecked before ordering just because they're not cheap and I wanted to be sure. There was a nominal change but the optician didn't think my actual glasses were worth adjusting so VR must be a sensitive use case, or add-in lenses are just that much better than glasses.

In terms of strength, I want to stress I'm not a mole so I wasn't expecting such a difference, my prescription is like -0.5 ,-1.5. I do have a mild astigmatism, which I do understand makes VR a bit harder, it certainly used to fuck up 3D Movies (and was first 'guessed at' with my shooting a long rifle) so it might be relevant.

All in though, A+++ Would do again.

Oh look, someone discovered contact lenses :D
Just kidding, glad it worked out for you. I wear them every day with -3.5 the left and -4.5 on the right eye.

I hate hate hate contact lenses so good on ya. I tried but it wasn't for me. II'll get wavefront lasek one, dunno how I can justify a $900 (Australian) graphics card but not something that would actually improve my life :D

Any fix for the crap resolution and SDE for people with 20/20 (post-PRK) like myself? :(

I try not to let it get to me but some games just look awful.

Unfortunately for you the only real fix for SDE is going to be higher PPI screens.

I still wear my glasses in my vive, and it's not that bad to me. I was thinking of getting those replacement lenses but I will hold off till my next eye check up before I do.

This is going to come across as a bit 'ad' like so apologies, I also did do a quick search and couldn't see other threads or posts about it.

I bought my Vive about a month ago, had a few games of table tennis etc, played Dirt Rally, wowed my friends with some of the games but I had a major problem, yes the resolution is a bit cruddy and my room set up isn't ideal (4m*2m) but the real problem was eye strain and everything looked, well it looked a bit crap.

I wear glasses to read, sometimes. I might wear them once a week when I'm really tired, I don't wear them to drive and rarely wear them day to day.

I tried wearing my glasses with the Vive and it's both uncomfortable but also didn't make an appreciable difference. Anyway, given my generally poor experience I figured I'd throw a hail mary before I got rid of the Vive and bought some prescription add-in lenses.

Oh my god, night and day difference.
  1. the edge shimmering has all but gone
  2. Screen door effect has reduced
  3. the comfort factor has gone through the roof, I can actually relax into it now
  4. no eye strain, it's comfortable as anything now (eye wise, you've still got a hunk of sweaty plastic on your face)
Downside is they do seem to mist up a bit, I'll get my diving demister on them for that, and they're a bit of a pain to take out adhoc, so if you share the headset bear that in mind.

However in summary, definitely definitely definitely worth the extra money if you're having problems and wear glasses. Heck even if you don't, maybe get your eyes checked. I got my prescription rechecked before ordering just because they're not cheap and I wanted to be sure. There was a nominal change but the optician didn't think my actual glasses were worth adjusting so VR must be a sensitive use case, or add-in lenses are just that much better than glasses.

In terms of strength, I want to stress I'm not a mole so I wasn't expecting such a difference, my prescription is like -0.5 ,-1.5. I do have a mild astigmatism, which I do understand makes VR a bit harder, it certainly used to fuck up 3D Movies (and was first 'guessed at' with my shooting a long rifle) so it might be relevant.

All in though, A+++ Would do again.
I don't get eye strain either. Might be the contacts. :)

I really need lenses bad on my left eye. My right is 100% my left is bad. It causes me to strain and get headaches.

Back