Add Ethernet Jacks in Wall

priyaradha

Limp Gawd
So I have a media server downstairs in my living room, but its slow. So I want to know is it possible to add Ethernet jacks to my downstairs living room wall, and to other places in house with ripping the whole wall apart. FYI I don't have any Ethernet cables going behind my wall, so is there an alternative. I am not very familiar with circuitary stuff, but my dad knows if i point him in the right direction.

with ripping the whole wall apart.

Assuming you meant "withOUT ripping the whole wall apart"

Yes...you can feed cables through the walls with making only small neat holes.

Or if you don't want to drill even small holes in the walls...get some surface mount stuff..hide the cables nice 'n neat behind surface mount channel runs that hide the cable.

Or...even easier..just get some powerline AC adapters. Plug into AC outlets and use your existing electrical system.

heee.heee. thats what i ment "with out', well the problem going with wires through the house is its a 2 story house. So i think i might skip that but after doing some research the powerline plug's look like a winner. Is there a good brand, read that products who incoporate HomePlug AV seems to be the best.

I have come through the basement to do it. I have also pulled molding away from the wall and hidden it behind that. Another way I have done it is to route it alongside cable coax using the holes already present.
The best way, and often the hardest, is to run the wire thru already existing conduit. As long as the electrical wiring already there is not too old and you use quality cat5e or better wire it works out ok. Bump out outlets meant to attach to the wall as opposed to going inside the wall work pretty good and don't look too tacky.

The easiest way would be to go wireless, or use the already mentioned powerline AC adapters. The powerline adapters are slow. And they are useless, or nearly so, if your houses wiring is not reasonably modern and in proper working condition.

well the house is 6 years old, i opened up a phone plate to see if a cat5 able was present, but there wasn't any. The only powerline that looks promising is the Linksys PLK200, ppl were able to stream hd stuff, which i guess if it can handle that it's perfect.

No, you can not run data cabling or any low voltage cabling in the same conduit or hole as AC wiring. That is a code violation.

^^dont wont to do that now, do we.. :) Thanks for the input, but this powerline technology seems cool anyone actually have any experince with these, i am going to buy the Linksys PLK200.

The powerline adapters are slow.

Not the more current generation ones..200 megs rated, real world testing puts them between 50 - 80 megs.

For sharing internet...waaaay more than enough. And if you online game at all...beats the heck out of wireless, it's like you ran CAT5 to your router. No occasional hiccup/lag like wireless does with heavy online gaming traffic.

^ i am going to buy the Linksys PLK200.

Just a note with those....they work fine as a pair..but if you expand to having 3 or more...many people having an issue with that model..I tried it myself...great as a pair..flawless for me like that, but add a 3rd..and they seem to lock up every couple of days. Many other brands out there which appear to be working better than the Linksys attempt.

Back