Add another GTX 580?

Sky15

2[H]4U
What would be the best choice? Add another 580 for 250 or so, then later in 2013 upgrade to a 780/8xxx. Or go for a 680/7970 now?

A problem sometime with dual cards is not all games work perfectly with them. You can run with the 580 another year, it's really not that old of a card. I'd personally would hold out, save the money. I'm still rolling with a Radeon 6850 and a C2Duo E8400. I can play really any game out there fine, maybe not every game with the details up, but very playable.

. i would go with a 680 now. or save your money and buy next gen.

You got still a very powerfull card there, rough 3/4 of the way to top of line. I would hold off for next gen cards as they are right around the corner, and will probably make 2 GTX580 in sli look silly(not to mention would not have the scaling issue, stutter and such associated with using dual gpu in the first place) that and obviously power draw/heat/noise

I would just go green and buy a GTX680 and sell your current GTX580, one GTX680 saves you money and less power consumption, energy saver! LOL ;)

I kind of want to go Red because I can get native Mini Display ports on AMD cards for my Apple Cinema Display. I know i can use adapter like I do now, but I kind of want that plug and play.

I kind of want to go Red because I can get native Mini Display ports on AMD cards for my Apple Cinema Display. I know i can use adapter like I do now, but I kind of want that plug and play.

my 680 has native DP plugs

The bump between 580 ad 680 is pretty good, but is not going to be anything like the 700 series will be in comparison, heck you will probably even be able to get the lower end one saving that much more power, $, and temperatures which would be sheer awesome wouldn`t it?

Without discouraging you to go for the red team keep in mind that a full size DP to mini DP adapter can be had for around $10.

I would say if you have the cash now go for a single 670/680 and add a second or jump ship to the new gen when it comes out. My ACD ran fine on most games with a single overclocked 670, I added a second for eye candy and minimum frame rates on some of the more demanding titles.

I say if you are ok for now, wait for the new stuff to come out in the coming months.

Probably a safe bet. You don't have long until a generation change for both sides.

i'd say wait if your not really having problems now. just comes down to what your wallet and acceptable frame rate.

Back