add additional ethernet ports for devices

Hi, I have a Fios Cable Modem which is hooked up to my Apple Time Capsule. between the two I have enough Ethernet ports to give internet to all my devices. Unfortunately I might need to bring the Apple Time Capsule upstairs since I will be buying a PC which means that my Mac Pro (hooked up to the Time Capsule) will be moved upstairs. I will not have ethernet ports on just the Cable modem. How could I add more ethernet ports? I appreciate the help

is the FIOS modem a router/modem combo?
if not, may need a router.

do you have to move the timecapsule, can you just buy a switch and use that upstairs instead? Your mac will still be connected to the timecapsule through the switch.

I'm confused, if I buy a switch and leave the Time Capsule downstairs then how do I connect an ethernet cable to my Mac Pro which will be going upstairs?

Run cables?

Or setup wireless?

There is also powerline networking, but I am not a fan.

I'm confused, if I buy a switch and leave the Time Capsule downstairs then how do I connect an ethernet cable to my Mac Pro which will be going upstairs?

the switch has 5 ports, one of them will go to the mac pro, another one will goto the time capsule.

So, like this

Modem
.. |
. V
Time Capsule --> any other computers
.. |
. V
Switch --> any other computers
.. |
. V
Mac Pro

Thanks. But I would still need a really long ethernet cable to go from downstairs to upstairs right?

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had already decided on going with a long cable. There are wireless solutions as well.

as compslcker pointed out, you can also use powerline networking (ethernet over powerlines). Are you interested in going wireless?

I appreciate the help. I don't mind going wireless, I was under the impression that a direct ethernet connection is faster but it would be a pain to connect a 100 ft ethernet cable to my Mac Pro. What wireless devices could I get for my Mac Pro?

isn't the timecapsule a wireless N AP?
or do they have different models?
I know nothing about them, except that Apple's page for Time Capsules says
Time Capsule is also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station.

and yeah, hardwired is faster but obviously won't always be feasible

I'm not sure if the Apple Time Capsule is a wireless N, anyone know? What kind of wireless adapter can I get for my Mac?

Thanks. So does that mean that I don't need to buy a wireless adapter for my Mac or I still do? I can can connect to my Fios Modem/Router wirelessly with the Time Capsule hooked up to my mac?

What do you guys think I should do? Should I buy a wireless adapter for my Mac, move the Time Capsule upstairs and get a router for downstaris? What do you think is the best thing to do?

well, to run your time capsule upstairs you would need to get either a line run or use a powerline adapter.
that's more of a personal preference.

Back