• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Add 2nd GPU for dual DVI?

Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
3,343
I currently have a Dell flat panel running off the DVI on my 9800pro. If I want to hook up another LCD via DVI, is it possible for me to just nab a PCI video card with DVI and run the 2nd display off that? What are the performance costs of doing this? I won't get the same 3d acceleration on the 2nd display, right?
 
-=Antimatter=- said:
I currently have a Dell flat panel running off the DVI on my 9800pro. If I want to hook up another LCD via DVI, is it possible for me to just nab a PCI video card with DVI and run the 2nd display off that? What are the performance costs of doing this? I won't get the same 3d acceleration on the 2nd display, right?
It will likely be a lower end since it's going to be a PCI card, which will mean shitty performance if you run applications off of that card.
 
Yes it is possible, and I doubt you'd be able to run 3d apps off the second card. You shouldn't need to anyway, 9800pro to run games on 1 monitor, pci card to run 2d on the second.....if you were gonna use it to stretch games over both monitors then I'd assume you would only get the power/performance of the PCI card. Meaning crap.

Do it myself, becasue SLi disables multi monitor support. Altho I only use my 1704fp's for desktop/msn etc....
 
I am only concerned about running 2D stuff on the 2nd monitor, so I just wanted to know if it would work.

How do you like your 1704s? I was thinking about picking one up. My other choice would be a samsung 740b, I know both are 6bit panels....but they are both faster than the 1801fp I usually run games on.
 
Personally, I would just take this as a chance to upgrade slightly. For a little more than a pci card you could get a 6800 with dual dvi and make it sooooo much simpler.
 
-=Antimatter=- said:
How do you like your 1704s?

Not bad really for what they are used for, purely browsing/msn/xfire etc. Only reasons I got them tho were they match the 2005fpw perfectly in style and height, and I got them at a very good price ;)
 
Back
Top